Dulce de Leche Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars – this bars will make you speechless! Gooey bars made with browned butter, filled with chocolate chips and swirls of dulce de leche.
Initially, I was planning on stacking 6 to 8 bars and drizzling them with more dulce de leche for the main photo. But that would make even my knees weak and my heart skip a beat and truth be told, I just wanted to dig into these babies.
I still had tons of fun teasing you guys with photos of these bars on my Instagram. 🙂 I am mean like that. Please, forgive me. #sorrynotsorry
So dulce de leche. The evil thing that it is, I love it. Because it’s evil and genius in the same time to take sweet condensed milk (that I could eat with a spoon straight from the can) and heat it up low and slow to turn into dulce de leche. That I can drink with a straw and not feel a bit guilty about it.
Even the name, “dulce de leche”, sounds like you are about to eat something sweet and creamy and absolutely amazing.
Cinco de Mayo is just around the corner and while my Hubby is gearing up for our annual “salsa and chips” night, I am thinking about the sweeter side of this holiday and the culture. Dulce de Leche comes to mind immediately.
I used a homemade version in this recipe (I simply heated up a can of sweetened condensed milk) but a store bought dulce will work too.
I used my favorite blondie recipe that is made with browned butter, added chocolate chips and dropped the dulce de leche on top and swirled with knife.
The key is to not overbake these bars. You want them gooey! The center will still wiggle a little when you pull them out of the oven. They will set more as they cool and if you chill them in the fridge, they will harden up.
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
Dulce de Leche Brown Butter Chocolate Chip Cookie Bars
- 1 cup all-purpose unbleached flour
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 8 Tbsp dulce de leche
- Spray 8" square baking dish with cooking spray. Line with parchment paper and spray the paper. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients ( flour, baking powder, soda and salt ).
- In a medium saucepan brown 8 tablespoons of butter. Take of the heat and add brown sugar. Whisk until combined. Let cool slightly.
- Add egg and whisk well.
- Add vanilla extract and whisk again.
- Add the dry ingredients and chocolate chips and fold in gently with a spatula. Do not over mix. The batter will be thick and sticky.
- Spread in prepared baking dish.
- Drop tablespoon-fulls of dulce de leche on top of the batter. Make swirls with a knife.
- Bake 20 to 25 minutes, but no longer than that.
- Let cool completely before cutting.