Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispies Treats – super fun Halloween treats that use no additional coloring die besides the orange pumpkin marshmallow Peeps! Addition of pumpkin spice makes them a great fall treat for kids and adults!
Everywhere I go these days, there seem to be a countdown to Halloween. The decor and candy is displayed in stores and there is no way you can miss it. It’s right there, screaming at me: it’s coming! Halloween is almost here!
Is it just me or time is flying by? How are we already full in in September? If not the hot weather, I would be pulling out sweaters and boots out of the closet. I do have to say that fall wardrobe is my favorite. It’s cozy and comfy yet it doesn’t have all of the thick layers of winter coats. I am starting to crave apple desserts and pumpkin spice latte so maybe I am ready for fall after all.
I know my family is because they have been begging me to get the pumpkin Peeps! So I did. And then I melted them into one gooey, sticky marshmallow sweetness, mixed with rice krispies and a little bit of pumpkin spice. Bam! My first pumpkin dessert of the season!
As the description of this post says, I did not use any additional food coloring or die than what’s already in the pumpkin Peeps. I hate trying to mess with the coloring and not get the right pumpkin orange shade. Problem solved! All you need to do is melt butter, add the marshmallow pumpkin Peeps and let them melt. Mixed with rice krispies cereal it will make thick and delicious bars with the right pumpkin shade of orange.
My kids absolutely loved the treats! My Hubby who is a big kid when it comes to Halloween loved them too! The pumpkin spice makes them a great fall treat for kids and adults.
You can make the bars in a 13″ x 9″ pan but they won’t be as thick as the ones on photos. You can easily double the recipe for a bigger crowd! Or binge watching of your favorite shows this fall. I am just sayin’.
- 1/4 cup unsalted butter
- 7 oz pumpkin shaped marshmallows two 3,5 oz. packages, I used Peeps
- 1 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 5 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1/3 cup semi-sweet mini chocolate chips
- Line a 8" square baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Grease the paper with butter. Set aside.
- Grease a large mixing bowl with butter. Add rice krispies cereal. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, melt butter (see note)
- Add marshmallows to melted butter and melt, stirring constantly.
- Remove saucepan from heat. Stir in pumpkin spice.
- Add marshmallow mixture to rice krispies cereal and stir until well combined.
- Pour mixture to prepared pan and press down.
- Sprinkle top with mini chocolate chips and gently press them down to stick to the bars. Do not spread.
- Chill bars in fridge for at least 30 to 40 minutes, 1 hour preferably.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!