Nutty Nougat Caramel Bites - layers of candy make these caramel bites irresistible! Chocolate, caramel, nougat and nuts make for a rich treat!
NUTTY NOUGAT CARAMEL BITES
Let me count the reasons why you should make these: butterscotch cookie base, peanut butter nougat, caramel, butterscotch and chocolate frosting. Yep, that covers it. If you are a fan of candy bars, you will love these! There are quite a bit of steps to make these bites, but they are worth it.
HOW TO MAKE CARAMEL BITES?
- I used my homemade caramel sauce in this recipe, but feel free to melt unwrapped caramels with a little bit of heavy cream. See recipe for instructions.
- You can easily double this recipe if you have a crowd coming. However, because these bites are very rich, I opted for an 8" square pan. I considered a 13"x9" pan, but the cookie dough base is very sticky and it's easier to spread it in a smaller pan. I used the leftover butter wrapper to help me smooth it out and push it into the corners of my pan. Just a tip you might want to use. The cookie base is really good and would be great by itself.
- I have to say, I have never made nougat before and I was quite surprised how easy it came together. You just have to be fast with mixing the marshmallow fluff and peanut butter into butter-sugar-milk mixture. It sets up quickly.
Overall, the recipe is quite easy and makes a delicious candy bar like treats. It's one of Nestle's Fall Favorites recipes. I will always be partial to caramel recipes, but if pumpkin or mint sounds good to you, you can find more ideas here.
MORE CARAMEL TREATS:
Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Bites
Sweet and Salty Caramel Popcorn Mix
Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Cups
NUTTY NOUGAT CARAMEL BITES RECIPE:
Nutty Nougat Caramel Bites
- for the cookie base:
- 1 c + 1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ c unsalted butter 1 stick
- ¼ c + 2 tablespoon light brown sugar
- 2 tablespoon granulated sugar
- ½ oz pkg butterscotch pudding mix ( about 1 5 . )
- 1 egg
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ c + 1 tablespoon Butterscotch flavored morsels
- for the nougat:
- 2 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ c granulated sugar
- 2 tablespoon Evaporated Milk
- ½ oz jar ( 3 5 . ) marshmallow fluff
- 2 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ c + 1 tablespoon peanuts chopped ( optional, I skipped this )
- for the caramel layer:
- ½ oz pkg caramels 7 .
- 2 tablespoon heavy cream
- for the homemade caramel sauce:
- 1 c packed light brown sugar
- ½ c unsalted butter
- ¼ c whipping cream
- for the frosting:
- ½ c Milk Chocolate Morsels
- 2 tablespoon Butterscotch Flavored Morsels
- 2 tablespoon creamy peanut butter
- Line 8" square baking dish with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray. Set aside. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking soda and salt. In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, beat together butter and both sugars until creamy.
- Add pudding mix, egg, vanilla and mix well. With the speed on low, gradually add the dry ingredients. Stir in butterscotch morsels.
- Pat the dough into prepared pan.
- Bake 13 - 15 minutes, or until the edges start to brown. The center might be still soft, but it will set as it cools.
- Lay a kitchen towel on the floor and drop the pan with cookie dough from 2 - 3 inches. See notes.
- Cool the cookie dough completely in the pan, on wire rack.
- For nougat: In a medium saucepan, melt butter. Add sugar and evaporated milk and stir. Bring to a boil and cook for 5 minutes, stirring constantly. Remove from heat. Immediately, stir in marshmallow fluff and peanut butter, vanilla and peanuts ( if using ). Mix until smooth. Spread over the cookie base.
- Refrigerate 15 minutes or until set.
- Melt caramels with heavy cream in a microwave safe bowl. Stir until smooth. Spread over nougat layer. Refrigerate 15 minutes.
- For homemade caramel sauce: cook together butter, sugar and cream. Bring to a boil. Cook for 2 minutes stirring constantly. Cool completely on the counter. Spread over nougat layer. Refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- For frosting: In a microwave safe bowl, melt together butterscotch morsels, milk chocolate morsels and peanut butter. Stir until smooth. Spread over the caramel. Smooth out the top.
- Refrigerate at least 1 hour or until the frosting is set.
- Let stand it room temperature for 10 minutes. Cut into 1" squares.
- Store airtight in refrigerator.
Lindsay @ Life, Love and Sugar says
I can't wait to try these! My husband is originally from South Africa and apparently nougat is pretty popular there. Whenever one of them goes to visit they always bring some back for everyone. It will be fun to make a homemade version! And this looks guaranteed to be even better than what they buy! And the caramel - yummmm!
Yay! Love this story, Lindsay! Let me know how you guys like them! Thank you!
Tutti Dolci says
I love these bites, that caramel is irresistible!
Lizzy Do says
These look amazing, Anna!!!! So decadent and delicious!!!
Stephanie munchimunch says
I'm the same way! I talk and squeal and grab at my boyfriend's arm whenever we're watching. I'm such a baby when it comes to anything horror. haha
Thanks for the nougats!!
lol Thank you, Stephanie!
Curry and Comfort says
Never seen Walking Dead... but I'm a fan of these yummy bites!! I love that image of the caramel dripping down the one bite... YUM!
Aww, thank you, Ramona. 🙂
Laura T says
Not a big butterscotch fan but love The Walking Dead. And that ep was a bloodbath! I could barely watch! And these bites look awesome, even with the butterscotch.
I agree on the episode - so scary! Thank you, Laura!
amy donovan says
I've been too wimpy to watch that show, but if I had a big cup of tea + a plate of these delicious bites tempting me, I bet i'd give in + watch, too. =)
lol That's my plan too, Amy 🙂 Thank you!
Totally a fact! Thanks, Hayley!
Anna, These look gorgeous! So delicious. Perfect to wait out a Zombie Apocalypse
Yes! I am ready for the next episode! 🙂 Thank you, Jackie!
My boyfriend has been BEGGING me to watch the walking dead with him! But I'm too big a wuss - hate horror!!! The caramel bites however, are right up my alley!!!
lol I am so scared every time I watch it but can't stop it either. 🙂 Glad you like the bites, Ashley! Thank you!
I could handle quite a few things with a plate of these by my side!
Paula @ Vintage Kitchen says
These are awesome, not just for movie watching! The nougat in the middle sets them apart. Wonderful!
Yes! The nougat is sooo goood! Thanks, Paula!