These Gingerbread Bars are chewy, perfectly spiced cookie bars topped vanilla cream cheese frosting and festive sprinkles. Easy and delicious Christmas dessert for the whole family!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Aside from classic cookies and our favorite candies and fudge, cookie bars are a must for Christmas parties and get-togethers. They are a great alternative if you need a treat fast or if you are not feeling like making individual gingerbread men or drop cookies. These Gingerbread Bars are perfectly spices and chewy. I top them with sweet vanilla cream cheese frosting and of course, green and red sprinkles!
- unsalted butter
- granulated sugar
- large egg
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- ground cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg and ginger
- cream cheese
- vanilla extract
- powdered sugar
How to make Gingerbread Bars?
- Cream butter and sugar, add egg, vanilla and molasses and mix in well.
- Add whisked dry ingredients and stir in until the dough is thick and sticky and all flour is incorporated.
- Spread the mixture in 13" x 9" pan, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes. The bars will puff up during baking and deflate while cooling.
- Next, whip up the cream cheese frosting, spread over cooled bars and dress up the treat with red, white and green sprinkles or mini gingerbread man candy.
Since they are made with molasses and topped with cream cheese frosting, I recommend storing these bars in a container with lid, in the fridge. Before serving, let them come to room temperature.
Yes! Bake the cookie bars, cool completely and do not add frosting. Wrap in saran wrap and place in a freezer bag. Store in the freezer for up to 4 months. Frost and decorate before serving.
More holiday desserts:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
- ¾ cup unsalted butter softened to room temperature 12 tablespoons
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup molasses I used Grandma's molasses
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- ⅛ teaspoon ground nutmeg
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ½ teaspoon salt
for the frosting:
- 6 tablespoons cream cheese soft
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter soft
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup powdered sugar
- Preheat oven to 375° F.
- Line a 13" x 9" baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds with electric mixer. Add sugar and beat for 3 minutes, until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and molasses and beat on medium low speed just until combined.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients: flour, baking soda, cinnamon, cloves, nutmeg, ginger and salt. Gradually add to the sugar molasses mixture and beat on low until combined.
- Spread cookie dough in prepared pan. Spread evenly.
- Bake in preheated oven for 18 to 20 minutes or until the top appears dry. The bars will puff up during baking and deflate while cooling.
- Remove from oven and let cool completely before frosting.
To make frosting:
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese and butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds. Add vanilla and powdered sugar. Mix well. It should be fluffy and thick.
- Spread frosting over cooled bars. Dress up with festive sprinkles. Cut into squares and serve.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
This recipe was originally published on December 9th, 2017 and updated on November 30th, 2019.