This Apple Dump Cake from Scratch is an easy fall dessert made without cake mix! Serve it with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream and caramel sauce.
Apple season is here and I am celebrating it with Apple Dump Cake from scratch. This very easy dessert is made without a store-bought mix since I never have these on hand. It's too easy to make it! I also used my quick apple pie filling and the result is mouth-watering. Sweet filling topped with crunchy topping just needs a large scoop of ice cream or a dollop of fresh whipped cream! Enjoy!
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- apple pie filling: I used my homemade recipe
How to make Apple Dump Cake from scratch?
- Start by whisking dry ingredients together.
- Drop cut butter and cut in with dry ingredients with a fork or pastry cutter. You can also use your hands. The mixture should be crumbly.
- Grease a baking dish.
- Spread apple pie filling on the bottom of the baking dish.
- Top with cake mixture.
- Bake for 40 minutes, until bubbly on the edges.
Can I use different pie fillings?
Absolutely! We love it with berry fillings and peach filling too. It's even better if you can make them from scratch too.
How to serve this cake?
A classic way of serving a hot fruit dessert like Apple Dump Cake is with ice cream and a generous drizzle of caramel sauce. It is also delicious with whipped cream and a dusting of ground cloves.
You can store leftovers in a container with a lid, in the fridge, for up to 3 days. The longer the cake sits, the softer the cake layer will be. It is best served the same day but you can easily heat it up if stored.
More apple desserts:
For more recipes like this, feel free to browse our Dessert category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment!
Apple Dump Cake from Scratch
- 20 oz apple pie filling see note
- 1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ¾ cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ cup butter
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Grease 13" x 9" baking dish.
- Spread apple pie filling in the dish.20 oz apple pie filling
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk dry ingredients together.1 ¼ cup all-purpose flour, ¾ cup granulated sugar, 1 teaspoon baking powder, ½ teaspoon baking soda, ¼ teaspoon salt
- Drop cut butter and cut in with dry ingredients with a fork or pastry cutter. You can also use your hands. The mixture should be crumbly.½ cup butter
- Sprinkle it over the filling.
- Bake cake for 40 minutes, until bubbly on the edges.
- Cool for 10 minutes before serving.
- In general, one can of filling is 20 ounces. I used my homemade Apple Pie Filling recipe. It's very easy and quick to make.
- You can use other fillings too! We love it with berry fillings and peach filling too. It’s even better if you can make them from scratch too.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.