Whole Wheat No-Knead Bread Recipe – healthy version of the classic no-knead bread made with whole wheat flour. Add nuts and seeds for more texture!
My current favorite breakfast consists of two slices of this Whole Wheat No-Knead Bread topped with sliced avocados, sprinkled with salt and garlic powder. It’s so good and so easy and much tastier than oatmeal right now. I love making the No-Knead Bread because it’s pretty much hands-off yeast bread but this whole wheat version is currently on rotation here. I have been using whole wheat flour more lately, even in our pizza dough recipe, and we love it.
This Whole Wheat No-Knead Bread is easy and delicious! It’s a great way to limit white flour amount in your diet and skip buying a white sandwich bread. You can add nuts and seeds to give it more texture and enjoy with a generous amount of peanut or almond butter and this chia jam. So tasty!
HOW TO MAKE WHOLE WHEAT NO KNEAD BREAD?
To make a tasty whole wheat no-knead bread, I used two cups of whole wheat flour and one cup of all-purpose flour. Stir in yeast, water and salt until the dough is shaggy and sticky. Cover the bowl with saran wrap and leave to rise in room temperature for 8 to 24 hours. Next, lightly flour a sheet of parchment paper, form the dough into a ball and let rest when your oven is preheating. Bake the bread in a cast iron Dutch oven with lid for 30 minutes, then uncover and bake until the top is golden brown.
It is recommended to let a yeast bread (and any kind of bread for that matter, even sweet quick bread) to cool completely before slicing. Otherwise, the crumb will be sticky and not cut nicely.
I love using my Le Creuset Round Dutch Oven to make this bread. It’s perfect not only for cooking soups and chili!
Enjoy with a hearty chili, soup or pasta. This bread is also perfect for making grilled cheese and even homemade croutons.
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
–>> Follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram for latest recipe updates!
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together both flours, sugar, salt and yeast. Add water and stir just until incorporated. Do not overmix. The dough will be shaggy.
- Cover the bowl with plastic wrap and let sit on the counter, at room temperature for 8 to 24 hours. The dough will rise and have lots of air bubbles.
- The next day, lightly flour a piece of parchment paper. Place dough onto paper. With floured hands, shape into a ball. Cover with plastic wrap.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees F. Adjust rack to lower position. Place Dutch oven inside. Preheat for 30 minutes.
- When oven is ready, carefully place the parchment paper with dough inside the Dutch oven. Cover with Dutch oven lid and bake for 30 minutes. Remove lid and bake 7 to 10 minutes more or until the top is golden brown, has cracks.
- Carefully remove Dutch oven from oven. Remove parchment paper with bread and place on a wooden cutting board. Let cool completely.
You can add nuts and seeds to the dough to give the bread more texture.
This bread is chewier than the all-purpose flour version. It is heartier too.
This bread is great for making homemade croutons and awesome grilled cheese sandwiches!