Better Cinnamon Roll Cake with Cream Cheese Frosting – my improved version of the cinnamon roll cake! It can’t be easier than this!
This is the result of my improvement of one of the most popular recipes on this blog. The famous Cinnamon Roll Cake. A lot of you made it and loved it, some run into problems and some complained that there is too much butter involved. I promised to work on a lighter version and one that will be super easy to make.
So here it is – the Better Cinnamon Roll Cake.
Less butter, easier and quicker to make, prettier but still absolutely delicious and fun!
This cake looks like a giant cinnamon roll. It takes your breath away as soon as it comes out of the oven. The filling creates crevices in the cake during baking, spreading the sweet cinnamon love over the top. Just look at this:
It takes only about 15 minutes to prep this beauty and only 30 to bake it. It requires less work than the original cake because the filling does not need to be whipped and then spread gently over the batter. All you need to do it drizzle it creating circles!
This version is much lighter too! I cut the amount of butter to only 1/4 of a cup!! The cake base has oil and buttermilk instead of butter and whole milk. It makes for a fluffy and moist cake that I will be using for other recipes for sure!
The filling is made in a small bowl in just seconds by whisking everything together. You swirl it over the cake batter in a circular motion and reserve almost half of it for drizzling after baking.
The cream cheese frosting is spread over a still warm cake. It’s the perfect finishing touch!
Also, check out our new video to see how we made the original cake!
- 1/4 cup butter melted
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 3 oz cream cheese softened
- 1/2 cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract or almond extract
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9" deep dish pie pan or a 9" round cake pan. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, salt, sugar, baking powder, baking soda.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together egg, buttermilk, vanilla and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth. Whisk vigorously for 10 to 15 seconds. Spread the batter in the prepared pan. Set aside.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together melted butter, sugar, cinnamon, flour and vanilla. Using a small spoon, drizzle the filling over the batter in a circular motion (simply create circles), starting from the outside. You should have about half of the filling mixture left.
- Bake the cake for 28 to 30 minutes, or until the toothpick inserted in the cake comes out clean.
- Remove the cake from the oven and set on a wooden cutting board. Drizzle the remaining filling over the filling crevices that were created during baking.
- Let the cake cool, while you make the glaze.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk cream cheese, milk and vanilla. Add sifted powdered sugar until the frosting reaches a thick yet drizzling consistency.
- Using the back of the spoon or an offset spatula, spread the glaze over the warm cake in a circular motion.
- Let cool to room temperature.
Follow crunchycreamysweet on Instagram and show us what recipes you are making from our blog! Use the hashtag #crunchycreamysweet! We would love to see what’s happening in your kitchen!