Easy Mushroom Stroganoff Recipe – quick and easy vegetarian version of a classic beef stroganoff. Packed with flavor and on the table under 20 minutes.
If you have Meatless Mondays on your weekly menu, I have just the recipe for you to try: Easy Mushroom Stroganoff. It’s a vegetarian version of a classic: beef stroganoff. In place of the meat, we are using mushrooms. Still flavorful, still delicious but lighter in calories and healthier. You can make it vegan by using almond milk for the creamy sauce and vegan noodles.
This Easy Mushroom Stroganoff can be done on your table in under 20 minutes. It’s quick, easy and perfect for busy weeknights when you want something delicious but healthy.
HOW TO MAKE VEGETARIAN STROGANOFF
Thanks to the flavorful mushrooms, you will not miss the beef in this stroganoff. Mushrooms add the umami flavor to a dish and here they are the perfect substitute for the meat. Simply saute garlic, onions and mushrooms together. Add vegetable stock and thicken with milk and cornstarch slurry. Stir in cooked noodles and serve garnished with parsley.
The whole dish can be done under 20 minutes. It’s quick, easy and flavorful.
You can customize this dish to your preferences. I like to add spinach at the end of cooking, just before I stir in the noodles. You can use more mushrooms if you are a big fan. I think 8 oz. of white mushrooms is plenty to make a delicious sauce. Add sour cream to truly mimic the classic beef stroganoff or skip it to keep it vegan. Garnish with grated Parmesan or sprinkle with nutritional yeast for a cheesy flavor.
CRAVING MORE? Check out these delicious recipes:
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 8 oz. white mushrooms washed and sliced
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce optional
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 1/2 cup milk 2%, 1%, almond, etc
- 8 oz. dry wide noodles
- chopped parsley for garnish
- Cook noodles according to instructions on the box. Drain and set aside.
- In a large skillet, heat up olive oil over medium heat.
- Add garlic and onion and saute for 2 to 3 minutes OR until the onion is almost translucent.
- Add mushrooms and cook until fragrant and soft.
- Add thyme, Worcestershire, salt and pepper. Stir well.
- Add vegetable stock and bring to boil. Reduce the heat to simmer.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together cornstarch and milk. Make sure there are no clumps in the mixture.
- Add cornstarch and milk mixture to skillet. Stir and simmer until the sauce thickens.
- Add cooked and drained noodles and stir gently.
- Serve garnished with chopped parsley.
If you don't have Worcestershire sauce, use Marsala wine instead. It adds deeper flavor. If you like, you can add 1/4 cup of sour cream or Greek yogurt to the dish, after it's cooked and off the heat. You can use any noodles you like for this recipe.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CRUNCHY CREAMY SWEET NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS RIGHT INTO YOUR INBOX!