Pumpkin Layer Cake with Orange Ginger Filling and Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting – and incredibly easy and absolutely delicious cake for the fall gatherings and holidays!
It’s this time of year, friends! Pumpkin and spices reunite in fantastic desserts that are served during get-togethers and holidays. Fall is coming! It’s a fact and I am super excited about it!
I created this layer cake with all of it in mind. Layers of soft pumpkin cake with orange and ginger spread filling and a generous amount of cinnamon cream cheese frosting to marry it all together. Toasted coconut flakes add the finishing touch. This cake is guaranteed to impress your guests!
Fall and the weather that comes with it make me always establish a certain routine for my afternoons: hot cup of tea and a slice of my baked good. During weekends, it’s gourmet coffee and a slice of layer cake. I’ve missed my routine all summer and can’t wait to go back to it!
I am sure you have noticed the new trend in layer cakes. Frosting the layers only, leaving the cake “naked”. I love this trend for two reasons: the rustic looks is simple yet impressive; decorating the cake is so much easier than applying a crumb coat and frosting and smoothing the sides of the cake. The contrast between the cake and the frosting makes it an impressive dessert.
To assemble the cake, pipe a circle of frosting around the edge of the first layer. Fill the center with the orange ginger spread. Top with the second cake layer. Frost the top layer, make fancy swirls with a back of a spoon and sprinkle with toasted coconut. Done!
If you are looking for an easy yet impressive cake for fall gatherings or Thanksgiving, look no further! This cake is perfect for it! Simple, impressive and absolutely delicious!
- 2 and 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground allspice
- 2 teaspoons ground cinnamon
- 1 c pumpkin puree (not pie filling)
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 3/4 cup buttermilk or sour milk
- 3/4 cup Orange Ginger Spread
- 4 oz . cream cheese , softened
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter , softened
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 2 to 2,5 cups powdered sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened coconut toasted
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour two 9" round cake pans. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt, allspice, cinnamon). Set aside.
- In another large mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients ( pumpkin puree, eggs, vanilla, oil, buttermilk). Whisk until smooth. Add both sugars and beat with an electric mixer until smooth.
- Add the dry ingredients and beat on low until smooth. Beat for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pans, dividing equally.
- Bake the cake for 20 to 25 minutes, or until the toothpick inserted in the center of each cake comes out clean.
- Cool cake in the pans set on cooling racks until completely cooled.
- !to make the frosting:
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter and cream cheese with an electric mixer until smooth. Add vanilla and cinnamon and beat until combined. Set a strainer over the bowl. Add powdered sugar, sifting one cup at a time with a strainer. Beat until fluffy, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Place one cake layer on a cake stand.
- Trim the top if domed too much.
- Pipe a circle of frosting around the edge of the cake, about 1 inch thick.
- Fill the center of the frosting circle with the orange ginger spread.
- Place the second cake layer on top.
- Spread the rest of the frosting over the top layer. Make pretty swirls with a back of a spoon.
- Sprinkle with toasted coconut.
- Chill until ready to serve.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Cost Plus World Market. Thank you for supporting brands I love and that make this blog possible.