Vegetable, Ham and Cheese Egg Muffins - easy and delicious breakfast idea! Huge hit with kids! Gluten free and keto diet friendly.
Move over cereal! There is a new breakfast in town!
After the success of my Breakfast Omelet Cheesy Bread, that our kids love so much and ask for often (that or pancakes!), I went on a search for another fun breakfast idea that would be pleasing to kids. And I think I found it!
Enter Egg Muffins!
Super easy and quick way to make eggs for breakfast, that doesn't require you standing by the stove and stirring. These muffins got thumbs up from everyone in the family!
I was able to sneak in veggies in these muffins which is always a plus. Our kids are great about eating veggies (definitely a big plus of working at home and homeschooling) but spinach is so often hard for them to enjoy. Knowing how they loved it in our Cheesy Spinach Pasta, I knew that if I stir it in with other ingredients and bake into fun muffins - it will all be happily gobbled up!
If you have picky eaters in your family, or want to jazz up your breakfast - I highly recommend trying these egg muffins. You can use cooked breakfast sausage in place of the ham or skip the ham for a meat-free version. You can use different veggies (think corn, even broccoli).
Few notes about this recipe:
- You need to grease your muffin pan, to make sure the muffins won't stick to it.
- The muffins will rise high, souffle-type, but will go down as they cool. I filled each muffin cup with 1 tablespoon of veggie and ham mixture and 1/4 cup of the egg mixture. That pretty much filled the cup, yet the muffins didn't overflow.
- You can use fresh or frozen spinach for these muffins. I used frozen and thawed it before adding to the eggs.
- These egg muffins can be made a day ahead and stored in the fridge. You can heat them up right before serving!
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CRUNCHY CREAMY SWEET NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS RIGHT INTO YOUR INBOX!
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
Ham cheese egg muffins
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup chopped yellow onion
- 1/4 cup chopped bell pepper I used orange
- 1 cup fresh spinach or 3 Tablespoons frozen thawed
- 3/4 cup chopped ham
- 4 large eggs
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup milk
- 1/4 cup shredded cheese I used mil cheddar
- Grease a 6 cup muffin pan. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, salt, pepper, milk and cheese. Set aside.
- In a medium skillet, heat up olive oil.
- Add onion and pepper to skillet and cook until soft.
- Add ham and cook until slightly browned.
- Add spinach and cook until wilted (if using frozen and thawed, cook until heated up).
- Place 1 tablespoon of veggie mixture into each muffin cup.
- Pour 1/4 cup of milk mixture into each muffin cup, over the veggies. It should come up almost to the top.
- Bake the muffins for 15 to 17 minutes, or until the eggs are set.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes.
- Serve or cool completely and store in fridge for up to 1 day.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Cloud Bread (bread made with eggs and cream cheese, gluten free and keto friendly)