Cheesy Egg Boats recipe - I turned a baguette into a bread boat filled with eggs, cheese and veggies! Perfectly crunchy edges, cheesy filling with lots of flavor from peppers, onions and Monterey Jack cheese. Use Take & Bake baguette for that freshly baked flavor and texture!
Perfectly crunchy edges, cheesy filling with lots of flavor from peppers, onions and Monterey Jack cheese. It makes me hungry just to type it. Freshly baked bread with it's significant crunch yet soft and fluffy crumb will always make me swoon. Add cheese, veggies and eggs and this is my and my family's new favorite breakfast of late.
Also, it's my favorite way to sneak in some veggies into my kids' breakfast! #winning
Plain loaf of bread is like a blank canvas to me. It so much fun to take a simple baguette and turn it into a bread boat. A vessel for yummy mixture of eggs, veggies and cheese. I like this kind of challenge.
I highly recommend using the Take & Bake or Bake at Home baguette for this recipe as it will bake perfectly while the egg filling is cooking. Regular baguette will work too but the edges might get too crunchy or even burn.
But of course, I like to give you options: use any mix of veggies you enjoy with your eggs, use any cheese you like (just mozzarella will be great too!), add chopped ham or cooked crumbled sausage, drizzle each slice with Sriracha or hot sauce just before serving. Yes, my Hubby and I totally did the last one. SO GOOD!
Cheesy Egg Boats Recipe
- 1 baguette
- 4 large eggs
- 1 Tablespoon whole milk
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded cheese I used an equal mixture of mild cheddar and Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/2 cup chopped fresh spinach
- 1/4 cup chopped red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup chopped red onion
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with aluminum foil.
- Place baguette onto baking sheet. Cut a V shape at the top of baguette and straight down the sides, leaving almost 1" of boarder. Hollow out - do not discard the baguette crumb, but instead place in a ziploc bag to make bread crumbs later).
- In a medium bowl, whisk eggs with milk and salt and pepper. Make sure to beat them well. Add cheese (reserve some for topping if desired), spinach, pepper and onion. Stir together.
- Pour the mixture into prepared baguette.
- Bake for 12 to 15 minutes OR until the filling is set.
- Cool on pan for 5 minutes, then transfer onto cutting board. Let cool for 10 minutes or so before cutting. Serve immediately.