Roasted Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Salad Recipe – healthy and filling quinoa salad with cumin roasted sweet potatoes and quick oil and lime vinaigrette. Perfect as a side dish or a healthy lunch!
I am currently obsessed with quinoa salads. I have a batch of cooked quinoa in my fridge at all times and use it in meatless tacos, enchiladas and salads. It’s a healthy protein source and combined with beans and vegetables makes for a delicious and filling dish.
This Roasted Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Salad is a family favorite right now! It’s simple to make and I can store it in individual containers for a healthy lunch throughout the week or as a side dish to grilled chicken. It’s wonderful in lettuce cups or tossed with chopped kale too!
HOW TO MAKE SWEET POTATO QUINOA SALAD?
This healthy and filling salad is very easy to make. It’s perfect for meal prep lunch or dinners, when you want something filling but healthy. Start with roasting sweet potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper and cumin. They will have a delicious Mexican flair! Add one can of rinsed and drained black beans (or 1 and 1/2 cups of home-cooked beans), one can of drained whole kernel corn (fresh is great too and can be roasted along the potatoes! I do not like frozen and thawed out corn in this salad.), chopped red onion and 2 cups of cooked quinoa. You can use my recipe for cooking quinoa in the Instant Pot (it takes only 1 minute of cooking time!!) or make it on the stove. I love this salad with slightly warm quinoa and warm roasted potatoes but it is absolutely delicious chilled in the fridge and can be divided into serving containers. The dressing is as simple as the salad! Whisk together olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, paprika and tajin seasoning. Pour over salad and toss together!
My Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa is fast and nutritious and perfect for meal prep!
HOW TO ROAST SWEET POTATOES FOR A SALAD?
Roasting sweet potatoes for a salad or as a simple side dish to your meal prep dishes is very easy. Simply peel potatoes and cut into cubes, no bigger than 1/2″. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt, pepper and ground cumin. Roast at 400 degrees F for 20 to 23 minutes. Use right away or cool and add to your salad. You can also store them in a container with lid in the fridge for up to 4 days.
I have a plenty of salad recipes with creamy dressings, either mayo based or healthier with sour cream. For this sweet potato salad, I decided to use a simple olive oil vinaigrette that perfectly complements the potatoes, beans and quinoa. Mix 4 to 5 tablespoons of olive oil with lime juice, salt, cumin, paprika, minced garlic and tajin seasoning. The last one is optional but I love it in this dressing and even add a little more sprinkled over each serving.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Roasted Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Salad recipe
- 1.5 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 1 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 1 15 oz. can whole kernel corn rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion chopped
for the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper or chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon Tajin seasoning optional
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel sweet potatoes. Slice into 1/2" thick disk and cut each into 4 or 6 pieces.
- Drizzle olive oil over potatoes. Season with salt, pepper and cumin. Toss gently to coat.
- Roast for 20 to 23 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- In a large salad bowl, combine corn, black beans, chopped red onion, quinoa and potatoes.
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together all the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and gently toss.
- Serve right away or cover with saran wrap and store in fridge for up to 4 days.