This Roasted Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Salad is a healthy and filling quinoa salad with cumin-roasted sweet potatoes and quick oil and lime vinaigrette. Perfect as a side dish or a healthy lunch!
Why You'll Love This Salad
I am currently obsessed with quinoa salads. I have a batch of cooked quinoa in my fridge at all times and use it in meatless tacos, enchiladas, and salads. It's a healthy protein source and combined with beans and vegetables makes for a delicious and filling dish.
This Roasted Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Salad is a family favorite right now! It's simple to make and I can store it in individual containers for a healthy lunch throughout the week or as a side dish to grilled chicken. It's wonderful in lettuce cups or tossed with chopped kale too!
- sweet potatoes - The star of this recipe! I cut the potatoes into chunks, toss them with oil and spices, and roast them.
- quinoa - You can use my recipe for cooking quinoa in the Instant Pot (it takes only 1 minute of cooking time!!) or make it on the stove.
- black beans - You will need one can or 1 and ½ cups of home-cooked beans.
- whole kernel corn - You will need one can. Drain the water and rinse the corn before adding to the salad. Fresh is great too and can be roasted along with the potatoes! I do not like frozen and thawed-out corn in this salad
- onion - I prefer red onion for salads. You can use sweet or yellow, whatever you prefer.
- olive oil - It's a base for the dressing. Use avocado oil, if you prefer.
- lime juice - Freshly squeezed juice is best here.
- spices - cumin, paprika, salt, pepper
- garlic - I prefer fresh, minced garlic. Use garlic powder if you are in a pinch.
- Tajin seasoning - This ingredient is not necessary but definitely recommended. It is made with ground dried chile peppers, dehydrated lime, and sea salt.
How to make roasted sweet potato quinoa salad?
This healthy and filling salad is very easy to make. It's perfect for meal prep lunch or dinners, when you want something filling but healthy. Here is how to make it:
- Start with roasting sweet potatoes seasoned with salt, pepper, and cumin. They will have a delicious Mexican flair!
- Add one can of rinsed and drained black beans, one can of drained whole kernel corn, chopped red onion, and 2 cups of cooked quinoa.
- The dressing is as simple as the salad! Whisk together olive oil, lime juice, salt, pepper, garlic, cumin, paprika, and Tajin seasoning. Pour over salad and toss together.
How to roast sweet potatoes for this salad?
Roasting sweet potatoes for a salad or as a simple side dish to your meal prep dishes is very easy. Simply peel potatoes and cut them into cubes, no bigger than ½". Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet, drizzle with olive oil, and season with salt, pepper, and ground cumin. Roast at 400 degrees F for 20 to 23 minutes. Use right away or cool and add to your salad. You can also store them in a container with a lid in the fridge for up to 4 days.
I have plenty of salad recipes with creamy dressings, either mayo-based or healthier with sour cream. For this sweet potato salad, I decided to use a simple olive oil vinaigrette that perfectly complements the potatoes, beans, and quinoa. Mix 4 to 5 tablespoons of olive oil with lime juice, salt, cumin, paprika, minced garlic, and tajin seasoning. The last one is optional but I love it in this dressing and even add a little more sprinkled over each serving.
- I love this salad with slightly warm quinoa and warm roasted potatoes but it is absolutely delicious chilled in the fridge and can be divided into serving containers.
- If using fresh corn, add it to roasting potatoes. It will give it an even more delicious flavor.
- If you don't like raw red onion, skip it. Use a sweet one, if you prefer.
- To make the salad ahead, you can keep the dressing separate in a bottle and toss it with all the ingredients before serving.
More salad recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Roasted Sweet Potato Black Bean Quinoa Salad recipe
- 1 ½ lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- 2 cups cooked quinoa
- 15 oz. can black beans rinsed and drained
- 15 oz. can whole kernel corn rinsed and drained
- 1 small red onion chopped
for the dressing:
- 4 tablespoons olive oil
- 3 tablespoons lime juice
- ¼ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon ground paprika
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper or chili powder
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon Tajin seasoning optional
- Preheat oven to 400℉. Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Peel sweet potatoes. Slice into ½" thick disk and cut each into 4 or 6 pieces.1 ½ lbs sweet potatoes
- Drizzle olive oil over potatoes. Season with salt, pepper and cumin. Toss gently to coat.2 tablespoons olive oil, ½ teaspoon salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- Roast for 20 to 23 minutes. Remove from oven and cool.
- In a large salad bowl, combine corn, black beans, chopped red onion, quinoa and potatoes.2 cups cooked quinoa, 15 oz. can black beans, 15 oz. can whole kernel corn, 1 small red onion
- In a small bowl or measuring cup, whisk together all the dressing ingredients. Pour over salad and gently toss.4 tablespoons olive oil, 3 tablespoons lime juice, ¼ teaspoon ground cumin, ¼ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon ground paprika, ¼ teaspoon black pepper or chili powder, 1 teaspoon minced garlic, ½ teaspoon Tajin seasoning
- Serve right away or cover with saran wrap and store in fridge for up to 4 days.
- Tajin seasoning is optional but worth trying. You can also sprinkle it over each serving. It is a seasoning made with ground chile peppers, salt and dehydrated lime juice.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.