Raspberry Lemon Muffins - fantastic muffins bursting with flavors from raspberries and lemon! Slightly tart and so refreshing!
I make muffins every week. Our favorites include Bakery Style Blueberry Muffins and Glazed Lemon Muffins.
LEMON RASPBERRY MUFFINS
Sweet muffins with beautiful raspberries and refreshing lemon. Now that's a way to go from summer to fall. Keep the summer flavors and enjoy these muffins as a snack or add to a lunchbox this back-to-school time. I have my fool-proof Glazed Lemon Muffin recipe here on the blog. Anytime I make muffins, I go back to that recipe. It has never failed me and the muffins come out perfectly domed - that's a must in muffins for me. No flat tops here!
What do you need to make these muffins:
- baking powder
- baking soda
- granulated sugar
- buttermilk (make homemade, see notes)
- vanilla extract
- vegetable oil
- lemon zest
- 4oz. fresh raspberries
How to make Lemon Raspberry Muffins?
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Whisk in the lemon zest. Add raspberries. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vanilla, egg and oil.
Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir in with a wooden spoon until well combined. Do not overmix. Divide batter into muffin pan cups.
Bake for 5 minutes at 400 degrees without opening the oven, lower the temperature to 375 degrees and bake until the toothpick inserted into each muffin comes out clean and the tops are golden.
How to make muffins with berries?
I recommend adding the berries to the dry ingredients to prevent them from sinking to the bottom of the muffins. I saved a few whole raspberries and inserted them on top of the muffins just before baking.
Tips for making the best muffins:
- Do not overmix the batter. It's okay if it's lumpy.
- Bake the muffins for 5 to 7 minutes at 400 degrees and then without opening the oven, lower the temperature and finish baking for another 13 minutes. This will ensure the domed tops!
- Place a few berries on the top of muffins just before baking for the bakery-style look.
MORE MUFFIN RECIPES:
Raspberry Lemon Muffins
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup buttermilk or sour milk see note
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoon lemon zest
- 4 oz fresh or frozen raspberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners or grease lightly the muffin cups. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar. Whisk in the lemon zest. Add raspberries (saving 12 of them for the top of each muffin - if desired). Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk/sour milk, vanilla, egg and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir in with a wooden spoon until well combined. Do not overmix. Slightly lumpy batter is okay.
- Scoop the batter with an ice cream scoop onto the prepared muffin pan. Place reserved berries on top of each muffin.
- Bake for 5 minutes at 400 degrees Without opening the oven, lower the temperature to 375 degrees and bake for 14 to 17 more minutes, or until the toothpick inserted into each muffin comes out clean and the tops are golden.
- Cool muffins completely before serving.
These Raspberry Lemon Muffins are calling my name. Just wondering if you have ever tried to freeze them? I will be using fresh raspberries.
Hi Bebe! I never have a chance to freeze muffins because we eat them all. I have three kids and they love them! I think they will do very well, just wrap them well in saran wrap before placing in a freezer bag. I hope this helps!
Can I use frozen raspberries?
Yes, you can.
Step 8 mentions glaze. Your recipe doesn't include glaze.
Hi Ingrid! Thanks for catching that! I updated the recipe.
Curry and Comfort says
Love fresh and bright flavors you have here. Yum!
Love the raspberry lemon combination! Wish I had one for breakfast!
Savory Simple says
I want to reach through my screen and steal one!
Oh, how I love lemon and raspberry together. Your muffins are absolutely gorgeous looking!
Jennie @themessybakerblog says
These muffins look amazing. Those domed tops and bright raspberries are calling my name.
Krystle Kouture says
I don't like things that are super sweet for breakfast. Love that you used tart fruits in these, great balance!
Oh these muffins remind me so much of summer - love the citrus / raspberry blend!
Domed muffins are a must. I love the raspberry lemon combo, one of my favorites!
Mine too! Thanks, Danae!
The citrus, the berries... If I could just pick one off the screen... They sound amazing!
One of my favorite flavor combinations, these look so good!