Apple Zucchini Muffins – soft and fluffy muffins with grated zucchini and apple. Perfect for lunch boxes or as an after-school snack!
APPLE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS
I knew these Apple Zucchini ones will be a great hit as soon as the came out of the oven. They smelled so good and looked fantastic! They melt in your mouth! The apple and zucchini is a great combo and makes these a perfect addition to lunch boxes or as an after-school snack. They were a huge hit with my kids and I have a feeling, they will be with others. Besides, they are extremely easy to make and you can have them done in under 30 minutes. The apple and zucchini make them softer than maybe regular muffins. They are moist and fluffy, which contributes to the melt-in-your-mouth factor.
How to make Zucchini Muffins?
- Start by grating zucchini. You need to squeeze any moisture out of it so it’s helpful to grate it right above a paper towel, then gather the edges and squeeze the water out over a sink. If you skip this step, the muffins won’t bake properly.
- Next, whisk together dry ingredients. Add zucchini and apple and stir gently. Coating both with dry ingredients will prevent it from sinking to the bottom of the muffins.
- Whisk wet ingredients in a bowl, then stir in with dry ingredients.
- Divide batter among muffin cups and bake until golden on top.
Tools you need to make these muffins:
- 2 mixing bowls
- paper towels
- muffin pan
How to bake with zucchini?
It is important to squeeze the moisture out of both, zucchini and apple, so the muffins will bake evenly and won’t sink. I recommend squeezing the zucchini and apple in paper towels. The colander doesn’t do an as good job here. I bought large zucchini at Aldi’s and one shredded zucchini equaled 3 cups. I used one cup for these muffins and placed the rest in a container with lid and refrigerated for the next day. I used the remaining two cups in my Double Chocolate Zucchini Bread recipe.
More delicious recipes with zucchini:
If you like this recipe and happen to make it, snap a photo and share it on Instagram! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
APPLE ZUCCHINI MUFFINS RECIPE:
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 and 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup shredded zucchini see note
- 1 cup shredded apple (one medium apple I used gala)
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- 1 large egg
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a muffin pan with paper liners or spray with a non-stick baking spray. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, soda, sugar and salt).
- Add shredded zucchini and apple. Stir to coat with the dry ingredients.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together buttermilk, vanilla, oil and egg.
- Add to the dry ingredients and stir in with a spatula or a wooden spoon. Do not overmix. Lumpy batter is okay.
- Using a regular ice cream scoop, scoop the batter into the muffin pan, filling one scoop per muffin. You may have two scoops of batter left in your bowl so either make two more muffins, or divide the batter evenly among filled cups.
- Bake muffins in 400 degrees F for 5 minutes. Without opening the oven door, lower the temperature to 375 degrees F and continue baking for 12 minutes. Check the muffins with a toothpick or a dry spaghetti noodle to see if done baking. If the muffins are too pale on top, add two more minutes of baking. They should have golden brown edges and golden tops.
- Cool for 10 minutes in the pan, then remove onto a cooling rack, plate or cutting board.
It is very important to squeeze as much moisture from the shredded zucchini and apple as possible. To do so, place shredded zucchini and apple on a stack of two paper towels and squeeze in your hands over the sink. You can use a colander with small holes but the paper towel method works the best.