Classic Quick Bread Recipe - traditional flat top sweet bread with apricot jam swirl.
CLASSIC QUICK BREAD
Just take a bite. Comfort in every little crumb. It's like a trip back in time to your Grandmother's kitchen and enjoying a slice of freshly baked sweet bread. This recipe is simple to make with berries, preserves swirl, chocolate chips or nuts. Unlike my Apricot Quick Bread that has a domed top, this quick bread is simple, with flat top and sweet crumb. This recipe is one of the easiest you will make. And it should be. It's a quick bread after all. This bread is so easy and quick to make. No tricks here. Just mix, pour and bake. No changing temperatures, no slicing the top.
QUICK BREAD VARIATIONS:
- use berries for a delicious berry sweet bread
- add chocolate chips
- add orange zest and dakr chocolate chunks
MORE QUICK BREAD RECIPES:
CLASSIC QUICK BREAD RECIPE:
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- ¾ c granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- ¼ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 c buttermilk (or sour milk)
- ⅓ c vegetable or canola oil
- 4 tablespoon apricot preserves
- 2 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest
- Grease and flour 9"x5" loaf pan. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- If using sour milk: place 1 tablespoon of white vinegar in a measuring cup and fill with enough milk to make 1 and ½ c. Stir few times and let sit for 2 to 3 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda and baking powder). Add orange zest and whisk.
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat eggs. Add buttermilk, oil and vanilla and mix well.
- Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon or rubber spatula just until moistened. Do NOT overmix the batter!
- Pour half the batter into prepared pan and spread evenly. Drizzle the apricot preserves and gently make few swirls in the batter. Top with remaining batter and spread evenly.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the bread comes out clean.
- Cool in pan.