One-Bowl Chocolate Cake Recipe - rich and decadent moist chocolate cake made in just one bowl. The fudgy frosting is irresistible!
When it comes to desserts, cakes especially, I want easy and quick. That's why I often reach for my crumb bars or cheesecake bars recipes. Easy is where it's at. This One-Bowl Chocolate Cake is just that! You need it in your go-to recipes file. It's as easy as box mix but made from scratch. The fudgy frosting made in a saucepan with just a whisk is out of this world and complements the cake perfectly. You have to try it!
This One-Bowl Chocolate Cake is perfect for a last minute dessert or if you are craving chocolate cake and need an easy recipe. This one is a keeper!
HOW TO MAKE ONE BOWL CHOCOLATE CAKE?
Start by measuring out the flour. To do that correctly, spoon flour into measuring cup, then level the top. Do not dunk the measuring cup into flour bag and scoop. You will end up with too much flour. Next, measure out the remaining dry ingredients and whisk everything together. Add wet ingredients and whisk until batter is smooth, no flour lumps should be visible. Pour the batter into parchment paper or aluminum foil lined baking pan (I used 8" square pan but round will work too). Tap the pan gently against the counter to release any air bubbles, then place in the oven to bake for 25 to 30 minutes. Check with a toothpick or a dry spaghetti noodle to make sure the cake is done. Next, prepare the frosting.
This recipe is so easy, you won't need a box cake mix anymore. Measure out the ingredients and whisk everything together in one bowl until the batter is smooth. It might seem runny and not thick but no worries, the cake will bake perfectly and every bite will be moist and melt in your mouth.
HOW TO MAKE EASY FUDGY CHOCOLATE FROSTING?
To make this easy chocolate frosting, all you need is a whisk and a saucepan. No mixer needed! Simply melt butter and whisk it with cocoa powder. Add powdered sugar, vanilla and milk to make a smooth, rich, shiny frosting. Spread over still warm cake.
More cake recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
One-Bowl Chocolate Cake Recipe
for the cake:
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk see note
- 1/2 cup hot water
for the frosting:
- 5 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.25 cup powdered sugar
- 2 to 3 tablespoons milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Line an 8" square or round cake pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugar, cocoa, soda, baking powder, and salt. Add egg, oil, and buttermilk and whisk well. Add hot water and whisk until the batter is smooth. Pour into prepared pan. Tap gently against the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake for 25 to 30 minutes OR until the toothpick inserted in few places comes out clean.
- Cool and make frosting in the meantime.
- To make the frosting, melt butter in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Add cocoa powder and whisk in. Cook for 2 minutes. Do not boil. Remove saucepan from heat. Add sifted powdered sugar and whisk in. Add vanilla and milk, one tablespoon at a time. The frosting should be shiny and smooth. Pour over warm cake and spread with a spatula. Let cool before cutting.