Easy Korean Beef– one of the easiest Asian recipes to make with ground beef. Caramelized saucy meat served over rice comes together in under 20 minutes!
What I like the most about creating copycat recipes or our restaurant favorites, is how easy they can be. They all have the word “easy” in the name for a reason. This Korean Beef recipe is most definitely one of the easiest you can create in your own kitchen and have dinner ready on the table under 20 minutes. Every bit of the caramelized beef with onion and garlic makes you crave another bite. Serve simply over rice or add steamed vegetables. This recipe is a simplified version of the Korean Beef Bulgogi dish, also knows as the Korean BBQ Beef. We are using ground beef here and we are not marinating the meat since it is ground.
- lean ground beef
- olive oil
- low-sodium soy sauce
- brown sugar
- sesame oil
- crushed red pepper flakes
- ground ginger
- black pepper
How to make it?
- In a large skillet, saute onion and garlic in a bit of olive oil.
- Add ground beef and cook, breaking it up with a wooden spoon. I like to cook it just a little bit past the done stage until brown bits appear at the bottom of the pan. They give the dish even more flavor.
- Next, mix the sauce ingredients in a measuring cup and pour over meat.
- Stir well, cover the pan and let simmer over low medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Done! Serve beef over rice. You can add steamed vegetables, like broccoli, on the side.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
You can even make the rice and beef ahead and cool completely, place in a ziploc bag and freeze. Then thaw and heat up in the pan. It all saves time and makes dinner time easy!
Can I use ground turkey or chicken to make this dish?
Absolutely! Any ground meat works in this recipe. You can even use thinly sliced beef (skirt steak) or chicken breast to make it. It will be fantastic!
More easy Asian recipes:
- Quick Teriyaki Chicken Rice Bowls
- Easy Chicken Stir Fry
- Thai Peanut Noodles
- Easy Chicken Yakisoba
- Mongolian Beef
- Homemade Teriyaki Sauce
- Instant Pot Beef and Broccoli
For more recipes, browse our Asian category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Korean Beef is one of the easiest Asian recipes to make with ground beef. Caramelized saucy meat served over rice comes together in under 20 minutes!
- 1 lb ground beef lean is the best
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1 tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons sesame oil
- 1/2 teaspoon crushed red pepper flakes
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
Heat up oil in a large skillet. Add chopped onion and minced garlic and saute until onion becomes translucent.
Add ground beef and cook over medium heat, breaking it up into bits with a wooden spoon.
Cook until done and no longer pink.
In a measuring cup, whisk together soy sauce, sugar, oil, pepper flakes, pepper and ginger. Pour sauce over the beef, stir well.
Cover the pan and let simmer over medium-low heat for 5 minutes.
Serve over rice, garnished with chopped scallions or parsley.
- I like to cook the beef just pass the done point, until brown bits appear on the bottom of the pan. They add more flavor to the dish. After you add the sauce, make sure you scrape the bottom with the wooden spoon so everything is in the dish.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
This recipe was originally published on April 11th, 2018 and updated on October 29th, 2019.