Italian Soup with Sausage and Potatoes Recipe – quick and easy soup full of chunky potatoes, smoked sausage and tomatoes. We love it served with grilled cheese for a great lunch or dinner!
The soup weather is here! Let’s make a big pot of pure comfort goodness! Chunky, loaded, soul-warming soup is exactly what I have been craving lately, since the temperatures went down enough to make me reach for a sweater in the morning. Grilled cheese and a big bowl of this Italian Soup with Sausage and Potatoes makes for a perfect lunch or dinner. It’s quick, easy and packed with flavor!
I love the simplicity of soups and the versatility of ingredients. You can skip or sub any of them and still have a belly-warming end result. Add crusty bread or ooey-gooey grilled cheese and dinner is served. If you are not sure what to make for dinner, this soup is the answer!
I actually took a dare with this one and added great Northern beans to the mix. My Hubby can’t stand white beans so I was quite ready for him to pass on it. Instead, he loved it! He was able to look pass the beans because of the smoked sausage. 😀 Yay! I also kept the potatoes cut into quite large chunks and everyone loved it. You can skip the sausage to keep it strictly vegetarian and maybe add red beans instead. I always start making soup with sauteing garlic and onion in a little bit of butter and olive oil. Add the potatoes and let them saute for few minutes as well. I think it adds richer flavors to the soup.
Tomato soup with Italian flavors, packed with vegetables and sausage. So good and comforting.
- 4 smoked sausage links (I used Italian style mild), sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 medium red onion yellow will work as well
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 red or yellow potatoes peeled, cut into large chunks
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
- salt and pepper to taste
- To a large stock pot, add butter and olive oil and set over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add garlic and onion. Saute until onion is almost translucent. Add sausage and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and stir in. Let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth and water. Stir well.
- Add Italian seasoning and bouillon cube.
- Bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until potatoes are soft (but not mushy), about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped fresh basil or parsley, dollop of sour cream, sprinkle of cheese or along side of grilled cheese sandwich.
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR DINNER BOARD!
CLICK HERE TO SHARE ON FACEBOOK.
Other delicious soup recipes:
White Chicken Lasagna Soup from Carlsbad Cravings
Creamy Chicken and Gnocchi Soup from Cooking Classy
Pasta e Fagioli from Simply Recipes