Italian Sausage Soup – quick and easy soup full of chunky potatoes, smoked sausage and tomatoes. We love it for a lunch or dinner!
ITALIAN SAUSAGE SOUP
Grilled cheese and a big bowl of this Italian Sausage Soup makes for a perfect lunch or dinner. It’s quick, easy and packed with flavor! I love the simplicity of soups and the versatility of ingredients. You can skip or sub any of them and still have a belly-warming end result. Add crusty bread or ooey-gooey grilled cheese and dinner is served. If you are not sure what to make for dinner, this soup is the answer!
- smoked Italian sausage links
- olive oil
- red or yellow potatoes
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- chicken or vegetable broth
- Italian sausage
- chicken or vegetable bouillon
- salt and pepper
How to make Italian Sausage Soup?
- Saute garlic and onion in oil and butter, in a large soup pot.
- Add sausage and cook until browned.
- Add potatoes and stir in.
- Add remaining ingredients (liquids and seasoning) and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until potatoes are cooked.
Can I make this soup ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this soup up to 3 days in advance. Cool it completely before storing in the fridge. Any leftovers should be kept in a container with a lid, in the fridge.
More Soup Recipes:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Soup Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Tomato soup with Italian flavors, packed with vegetables and sausage. So good and comforting.
- 4 smoked sausage links (I used Italian style mild), sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 medium red onion yellow will work as well
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 red or yellow potatoes peeled, cut into large chunks
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
- salt and pepper to taste
- To a large stock pot, add butter and olive oil and set over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add garlic and onion. Saute until onion is almost translucent. Add sausage and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and stir in. Let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth and water. Stir well.
- Add Italian seasoning and bouillon cube.
- Bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until potatoes are soft (but not mushy), about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped fresh basil or parsley, dollop of sour cream, sprinkle of cheese or along side of grilled cheese sandwich.
- You can use raw Italian sausage, removed from casings.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.