Italian Sausage Soup - quick and easy soup full of chunky potatoes, smoked sausage and tomatoes. We love it for a lunch or dinner!
Serve this soup with Stuffed Garlic Knots or Easy Garlic Bread.
Grilled cheese and a big bowl of this Italian Sausage Soup makes for a perfect lunch or dinner. It's quick, easy and packed with flavor! I love the simplicity of soups and the versatility of ingredients. You can skip or sub any of them and still have a belly-warming end result. Add crusty bread or ooey-gooey grilled cheese and dinner is served. If you are not sure what to make for dinner, this soup is the answer!
- smoked Italian sausage links
- olive oil
- red or yellow potatoes
- diced tomatoes
- tomato sauce
- chicken or vegetable broth
- Italian sausage
- chicken or vegetable bouillon
- salt and pepper
- Saute garlic and onion in oil and butter, in a large soup pot.
- Add sausage and cook until browned.
- Add potatoes and stir in.
- Add remaining ingredients (liquids and seasoning) and bring to a boil.
- Simmer until potatoes are cooked.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Yes, you can make this soup up to 3 days in advance. Cool it completely before storing in the fridge. Any leftovers should be kept in a container with a lid, in the fridge.
More soup recipes:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Soup Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Italian Sausage Soup
- 4 smoked sausage links (I used Italian style mild), sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 medium red onion yellow will work as well
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 red or yellow potatoes peeled, cut into large chunks
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
- salt and pepper to taste
- To a large stock pot, add butter and olive oil and set over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add garlic and onion. Saute until onion is almost translucent. Add sausage and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add potatoes and stir in. Let cook for about 2 minutes.
- Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth and water. Stir well.
- Add Italian seasoning and bouillon cube.
- Bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until potatoes are soft (but not mushy), about 12 to 15 minutes.
- Serve garnished with chopped fresh basil or parsley, dollop of sour cream, sprinkle of cheese or along side of grilled cheese sandwich.
- You can use raw Italian sausage, removed from casings.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
Looks lovely. At what point would you add the white beans?
This soup looks legit Anna! I looove sausage and potatoes in soup, and bring on the white beans! Looks delish!
This looks like such a hearty meal! I love soup this time of year and can't wait to try it!
Soup dishes are special dinners in our family during this time of year, especially if it looks as delicious as this one! I'm pretty sure they would love this!
This looks fabulous! A tasty flavorful meal, perfect for the cooling weather.
Absolutely! Thanks, Michelle!
What a hearty and delicious-looking soup. Perfect for the cooler weather.
Yay for soup weather! 😀 Thanks, Joanie!
This looks like an awesome soup for cold nights, and I love the flavors! Can't wait to try it!
DANG! This is so perfect! Looks amazing.
It gets so cold up here in Alaska in the winter - this meal is perfect for what I like to feed my family during that time! I bet the sausage adds incredible flavor!