Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa Recipe – healthy and nutritious quinoa with taco seasoning, black beans, corn, onions, garlic and peppers. Perfect vegetarian grain bowl for lunch or dinner!
If you ever cooked quinoa in your Instant Pot, you know how easy and fast it is. I make it once a week and keep it portioned in ziploc bags to use for lunches and in place of rice. I love this healthy, protein-packed packed option to add nutrition to our meals. Now, I can make a one pot meal with quinoa right in my Instant Pot.
INSTANT POT MEXICAN QUINOA
This Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa can’t be easier to make. All you need to do is quickly saute the garlic, onions and peppers, add quinoa, liquid and diced tomatoes. Close the lid on your Instant Pot and let it do it’s magic. That’s it! Your lunch or dinner is ready! You can even cool it completely, portion out into meal prep containers and enjoy throughout the week. More Healthy Instant Pot Recipe.
HOW TO MAKE INSTANT POT MEXICAN QUINOA?
- Start by pressing the “saute” button on your Instant Pot. Add oil to the insert and heat it up. Add chopped onion and pepper and minced garlic. Cook for 1 to 2 minutes. Add butter and saute until the onion is translucent.
- Add corn and beans to the mixture and stir well. Add spices, quinoa and water and stir everything together.
- Add diced tomatoes in the center, but do not stir. Close lid, set valve to sealing, set timer to 1 minute. Once the timer is done, let it release the pressure naturally. It takes only a few minutes.
- Stir quinoa and enjoy right away topped with shredded cheese, chopped red onion, cilantro and avocados.
HOW TO COOK QUINOA IN INSTANT POT?
Cooking quinoa in the Instant Pot is the easiest way to prepare it, in my opinion. Simply add the grain and twice the amount of water to the IP insert, close the lid, switch the valve to sealing position and set timer to 1 minute. The IP will come to pressure in about 10 minutes. Once the timer is done, release the pressure by switching the valve to venting position. Newer IP models only require to push the button. Carefully open the lid and stir quinoa. It should be perfectly fluffy. For more info, check out my 1-Minute Instant Pot Quinoa recipe.
VEGETARIAN QUINOA BOWLS
This Instant Pot Mexican Quinoa is a meatless yet protein-packed option for a healthy dinner or lunch, thanks to the quinoa itself and the black beans. Grain bowls are very popular right now and this recipe is a perfect quinoa bowl option. After the dish is done cooking, stir it well and enjoy right away or cool completely and portion out. Top it with shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, chopped cilantro, avocado and a squeeze of a lime wedge.
MORE QUINOA RECIPES:
MORE HEALTHY INSTANT POT RECIPES:
To learn more about the Instant Pot and how to use it to it’s best, check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners.
–>> Follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram for latest recipe updates!
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
INSTANT POT MEXICAN QUINOA RECIPE:
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small onion chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1 cup whole kernel corn
- 15 oz can black beans drained and rinsed
- 3 teaspoons taco seasoning
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup uncooked quinoa
- 1.25 cups water or vegetable stock
- 14.5 oz can diced tomatoes
- avocado for topping
- shredded cheese for topping
- chopped red onion for topping
- Make sure the stainless steel insert is in your Instant Pot. Press saute setting. Add oil to pot and heat it up. Add minced garlic, onion and pepper. Saute for 1 to 2 minutes. Add butter and saute until the onion is translucent. Press "cancel/off" button.
- Add corn and beans to Instant Pot and stir well. Sprinkle taco seasoning, salt and pepper. Add quinoa and water and stir everything together.
Add diced tomatoes (with liquid) in the center, on top of other ingredients. DO NOT STIR.
- Close the lid, switch the valve to sealing position. Make sure the IP is set to cook at HIGH pressure. Set timer to 1 minute. The Instant Pot will beep and start coming to pressure.
- Once the timer is done, press "cancel/off" button. Let the pressure release naturally. Open the lid away from your face and stir quinoa.
- Serve with shredded cheese, chopped red onion, cilantro, avocado and lime wedges.
For meal prep: cook Mexican quinoa according to instructions above. Cool completely, then divide into meal prep containers. Store in fridge for up to 5 days.