Fried Ravioli is a popular Italian side dish that can be easily made with just a few ingredients. Cheese-filled ravioli is breaded and deep-fried until golden and crispy.
Cheese-stuffed pasta, breaded and deep-fried until crispy is one of the best and easiest appetizers you can make. The ravioli is crispy on the outside and gooey and cheesy on the inside. I serve it with marinara sauce. I am obsessed with this homemade version of the popular Italian appetizer. You only need a handful of ingredients and any ravioli you like to make it. I used cheese-stuffed large ravioli but small size works perfectly too.
Ingredients needed (your shopping list):
- ravioli (I used five cheese, large ravioli)
- breadcrumbs (I used Italian style)
- vegetable oil, for frying
- Start by setting up a breading station: beaten egg in one bowl, flour in another bowl and breadcrumbs in a third bowl.
- Dip each ravioli in flour first, then egg and then breadcrumbs. Set on a plate.
- Heat up oil in a pot. When it reaches 370 degrees F, it’s ready for frying.
- Carefully place a few raviolis at a time in the oil. Fry 2 minutes per side OR until golden brown.
- Remove from oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve with marinara sauce.
Do I have to boil the ravioli before frying?
No, there is no need to boil the pasta. It will be difficult to fry since it will be filled with moisture. Believe it or not, the ravioli will cook during frying.
Can I make these in an air fryer?
Absolutely! Once breaded, place ravioli in air fryer basket or wire rack and spray with olive oil cooking spray. Air Fry at 400 degrees F for 10 to 12 minutes.
What to serve it with?
I serve it with marinara sauce. You can also mix crushed tomatoes with Italian seasoning, minced garlic and Parmesan cheese. You can also use them in place of croutons on an Italian salad.
More pasta recipes:
- Garlic Mushroom Shrimp Pasta
- Italian Pasta Salad
- Sun-Dried Tomato Chicken Pasta
- Instant Pot Baked Ziti
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Pasta Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Fried Ravioli is a popular Italian side dish that can be easily made with just a few ingredients. Cheese-filled ravioli is breaded and deep-fried until golden and crispy. Serve it with marinara sauce!
- 10 large raviolis or 20 small ones
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup Italian style breadcrumbs
- 2.5 cups vegetable oil for frying
- Prepare pasta for frying: place beaten egg in one bowl, flour in another and breadcrumbs in third bowl.
- Dip each ravioli in flour first, then egg and then breadcrumbs.
- Place breaded ravioli on a large plate.
- Line a large plate or baking sheet with a paper towel. Set aside.
- Heat up oil in a deep pot until it reaches 370 degrees F. Check the temperature with a kitchen thermometer.
- Carefully place a few raviolis at a time in the hot oil and fry for 3 minutes per side. Do not overcrowd the pot or the temperature of the oil will drop.
- Once done, remove raviolis from oil and place on a paper towel-lined plate.
- Serve warm with marinara sauce.
- I used large raviolis like you see on a photo in the post above. You can use any size and with any filling.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.