Learn how to cook the best Filet Mignon wrapped in bacon, in 3 easy steps and just 10 minutes. Make this elegant dish easily in your own kitchen to rival the high-end steak house meal!
Why This Recipe Works
Sometimes the most intimidating dishes are the easiest to make. This Filet Mignon is a great example. The most tender cut of beef tenderloin is wrapped in bacon and cooked in under 10 minutes. The meat is tender and flavorful. If you want to make an impressive meal for a special occasion, filet mignon is the way to go. You will be amazed at how easy it is to make. Just season, sear in pan on both sides and finish it in the oven. This technique gives the best results!
- filet mignon aka beef tenderloin steaks, wrapped in bacon or without it,
- butter: helps achieve the perfect sear on the outside,
- salt and pepper: keeping it simple here and letting the meat shine.
How to cook filet mignon?
- Start by preheating your oven.
- Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides.
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add butter to the pan, let it melt slightly, and add steak. Sear and occasionally baste it with melted butter.
- Place the pan with filet mignon in the oven and cook for 5 minutes. Remove and place on a cutting board or a plate. Let it sit for 5 minutes before serving and slicing.
I find that a simple vegetable side is the best since it will let the steak be the star and shine. I chopped onion, bell pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms and roasted them in the air fryer for 10 minutes. The flavors, especially the roasted mushrooms, were the perfect pairing. You can also serve filet mignon with sauteed spinach, roasted broccoli, or baked potatoes.
Keep it simple here. Salt and pepper are all you really need. Especially if the steak is wrapped in bacon.
This cut of meat is one of the most desirable, hence the price. It's a small steak, made from the most tender part of beef tenderloin, the highest quality meat. Top of the crown.
For the best results, sear the meat in a hot cast iron skillet, then finish cooking in the oven. This technique will ensure perfect crust on the outside and buttery on the inside. Cooking it in the pan only will lead to the meat being overdone and since this is an expensive cut, you don't want to waste your money.
How long do you cook filet mignon?
Filet mignon is a small lean steak so a quick sear on the pan and then just a few minutes in the oven is all it needs. My steaks were 2" thick. After 4 minutes total in the pan and 5 minutes in the oven, my steaks were medium-rare.
For medium rare the temperature of the steak should be 135 degrees F, for medium it should be at 145 degrees F.
You want to remove the meat from the oven while it's still 5 degrees below the desired temperature as it will finish cooking while resting.
Tips for the best filet mignon:
- Let the steak sit at room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking; you should not place cold meat on a hot pan.
- Keep it simple with seasoning; only salt and pepper are needed; let the meat shine.
- Make sure the pan is hot before adding butter and the steak; sear until nicely brown on both sides.
- Cook it only to medium or medium-rare for that melt-in-your-mouth texture and best flavor.
- Use a cast-iron skillet for the best results.
- Let the filet mignon sit for 5 minutes before serving; during cooking, the meat juices are pulled towards the surface, and resting after cooking will let the juices redistribute throughout the meat.
More beef recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment!
How to Cook Filet Mignon
- 2 5 oz filet mignon steaks
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ¾ teaspoon kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Remove steaks from fridge and let sit in room temperature for 30 minutes before cooking.2 5 oz filet mignon steaks
- Preheat your oven to 400° Fahrenheit.
- Season steak with salt and pepper on both sides.¾ teaspoon kosher salt, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Heat up a cast-iron skillet over medium-high heat for 4 to 5 minutes.
- Add butter to the pan, let it melt slightly, add steak immediately. Sear for 2 minutes per side. Occasionally, baste it with melted butter.2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Place the pan with filet mignon in the oven and set timer to 5 minutes. Once the time is up, remove pan from the oven and place steaks on a cutting board or a plate. Let the meat sit for 5 minutes before serving and slicing.
- Instructions are the same for bacon-wrapped or unwrapped steaks.
- To make roasted veggies seen in the photo: chop yellow onion, bell pepper, zucchini, and mushrooms and roast them in the air fryer for 10 minutes at 380 degrees F.
- My steaks were 2″ thick. After 4 minutes total in the pan and 5 minutes in the oven, my steaks were medium-rare.
- You want to remove the meat from the oven while it’s still 5 degrees below the desired temperature as it will finish cooking while resting.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use a calorie counter you are familiar with.