How to Cook Couscous on the stovetop and in a microwave in just minutes! Perfectly fluffy and ready to serve couscous can be used in a variety of dishes!
Use it to make my Mediterranean Couscous Salad or serve as a side dish with any protein, like grilled chicken or roasted chicken thighs.
Couscous is made from semolina and mixed with hot water it absorbs it and turns into tiny pasta. It is a popular staple in Mediterranean, Middle Eastern and North African cuisines. It is prepared in a similar way to rice and can be used in the same dishes. There are three types of couscous: Moroccan (the most common one in stores), Pearl (also called Israeli couscous, much bigger in size) and whole wheat (the healthiest option).
Cooking couscous is very simple. You can make it in a pot on the stovetop or in a bowl in a microwave. You will need water, couscous, salt and olive oil. Fluffy couscous is perfect in salads, soups or as a side dish. It's great served with seafood, grilled vegetables or chicken. Add it to chicken soup in place of noodles or rice.
The Stovetop Method
Pour 1.25 cups of water to a pot. Bring to a boil. Once boiling, turn off the heat, add couscous, salt and olive oil. Stir an cover. Let sit for about 5 minutes. Then fluff with fork.
The Microwave Method
Pour 1.25 cups of water into microwave safe bowl and microwave until boiling. Add couscous, salt and oil, stir and cover with an inverted plate. Let stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork.
After 5 minutes, couscous is done and all you need to do is fluff it with a fork.
You can flavor couscous depending on what dish you want to use it.
- If you are serving it in a salad, keep it plain since the dressing will be adding most of the flavor.
- If using as a light side dish to seafood, add lemon zest and herbs.
- in salads, like my Mediterranean couscous salad or pair with grilled or roasted vegetables for a light and healthy meal;
- as a side dish to seafood (like my Parmesan Crusted Salmon)
- in soups (instead of rice in Instant Pot Chicken and Rice soup)
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
How to Cook Couscous
- 1.25 cups water
- 1 cup couscous Instant kind
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- Pour water into a pot with lid. Bring to boil. Remove from heat.
- Add salt, olive oil and couscous. Stir. Cover and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Stir with a fork to fluff.
- Pour water into microwave-safe dish (bowl or large glass cup) and microwave for 4 to 5 minutes or until boiling.
- Add salt, olive oil and couscous. Stir a few times.
- Cover the bowl with inverted plate and let sit for 5 minutes.
- Fluff with fork.
Love me some couscous! Perfect for summer salads!
How great is this for anyone wanting to learn how to make it!
Allyson Zea says
We make this with nearly everything, I LOVE it!
Couscous is so versatile! My kids just love it so many different ways and yours looks perfectly fluffy!
Chrissie Baker says
That looks delish. I want it for a dinner treat with my hubby.
Dorothy Reinhold says
I never thought about cooking it in the microwave! Time saver when you are in a hurry!