Chocolate Mug Cake for Two Recipe – fluffy and soft chocolate cake cooked in microwave! Perfect little treat that comes together in just under 5 minutes.
Quick and easy chocolate cake with a fluffy and melt-in-your-mouth crumb is the perfect little treat for special occasions, date nights or simply when you are craving a chocolate cake but not the work that comes with making a big one. This Chocolate Mug Cake for Two can be cooked in a mug or ramekin, under 2 minutes in the microwave. No oven needed!
This recipe does not require an egg so it’s very easy to double or triple the ingredients to make more servings. The frosting is super easy to make too! Simply sprinkle chopped chocolate or chocolate chips on top of still hot cake and cover loosely. Let it sit until the chocolate melts, then spread evenly. Add sprinkles and serve!
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- baking soda
- apple cider vinegar
- vanilla extract
- chocolate chips
Cooking a cake in a mug and in the microwave is very easy! All you need is basic cake ingredients whisked together and cooked in a greased 8 oz. mug or ramekin.
- Whisk all of the ingredients in a one cup measuring glass cup and pour into the mug it will be cooked in. It ensures that all of the ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
- Sprinkle chocolate chunks or chips over the top of the cake OR drop a caramel filled chocolate square into the center for a sweet surprise. This cake is not overly sweet which is perfect if you are adding chocolate chunks or chips to the batter.
- Cook the cake in the microwave for 1 minute, then check. If there is a spot in the center that looks uncooked, add 15 more seconds of cooking time. Check again with a toothpick inserted into a few places of the cake. Add 10 more seconds of cooking if needed.
- Once done, sprinkle more chocolate chunks or chips over the top of still hot cake, loosely cover with an inverted plate or a lid (if you are using the ramekin) and let sit for a few minutes until the chocolate melts. Spread with a back of a spoon or small spatula. Add sprinkles! Let the cake cool and then serve.
No eggs or milk
This recipe does not call for egg or milk. All you need is apple cider vinegar, water and oil for the wet ingredients, and flour, sugar, cocoa powder, baking soda and salt for the dry ingredients. It is the same recipe I use for my favorite and Best Chocolate Cake or eggless chocolate cupcakes. It makes a rich in color (almost reddish) crumb with a soft and fluffy texture. Each bite melts in your mouth. It’s delightful!
More chocolate desserts:
- Chocolate Mousse For Two
- Instant Pot Chocolate Lava Cake
- Triple Chocolate Mousse Cake
- One Bowl Chocolate Cake
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Chocolate Mug Cake for Two Recipe
- 5 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons vegetable or canola oil
- 4.5 tbs water
- 2 Tablespoons chocolate chips or chunks
- Grease 8 oz. microwave safe mug or ramekin. Set aside.
- In a one cup measuring cup or small mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, cocoa, baking soda and salt).
- Add vinegar, oil and water and whisk until smooth. Make sure there is no dry flour remaining at the bottom of the cup. Use spatula if needed to make sure all of the ingredients are combined into one smooth batter.
- Pour the batter into the prepared mug or ramekin. Sprinkle 1 tablespoon of chocolate chips over the top.
- Place mug in microwave and cook for 1 minute. Check the cake. If there is a spot in the center that looks uncooked, cook cake for 15 more seconds. Check again and add 10 seconds, if needed. Check cake with a toothpick in a few places.
- Sprinkle remaining chocolate chips over the top of hot cake, cover with inverted small plate or lid (if using a ramekin) and let sit until the chocolate melts. Spread with a back of a spoon or small spatula. Add sprinkles. Let the cake cool slightly. Serve.