Cauliflower Fried Rice – this healthy, low carb version of a popular takeout dish. It takes about 20 minutes to make, including grating the cauliflower.
CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE
The best way to see if a healthier substitution works is to try it in one of your favorite recipes. I knew that the first dish I wanted to try with my new obsession – the cauliflower rice – is Fried Rice. I was crossing my fingers so hard because my Hubby loves fried rice and I really wanted him to love it with my cauliflower substitution.
You guys, we literally ate the whole pan, no plates – just forks and pan! We are obsessed with this version of fried rice! The same flavors, less calories. It is so good and you can’t tell that there is no grain rice in it.
How to make Cauliflower Fried Rice?
- If using fresh cauliflower, grate it or pulse in a food processor until it resembles rice.
- Heat up oil in a pan and cook beaten egg until done and resembles scrambled eggs. Remove onto a plate.
- Add more oil to the pan. Saute garlic and onion for 2 minutes.
- Add carrots and peas. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add cauliflower rice and cook, stirring often, for about 5 minutes.
- Add soy sauce, egg, salt, and pepper and stir in well.
- Serve with chopped green onions.
Cauliflower Fried Rice Ingredients:
- cauliflower (riced)
- olive oil
- green peas
- soy sauce
- green onion
- salt and pepper
Cauliflower Fried Rice variations:
- add tofu, shrimp or cooked, bite-size chicken breast to turn this rice into a full meal
- add a sunny-side-up fried egg on top
- use frozen veggies, like carrots and peas or Asian vegetable mix
More Low Carb Recipes with Cauliflower:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
This healthy, low-carb version of a popular takeout dish. It takes about 20 minutes to make, including grating the cauliflower.
- 2.5 cups cauliflower rice
- 2 Tablespoons olive oil
- 1 large egg beaten
- 1 medium red onion chopped
- 2 cloves of garlic minced or grated
- 1 medium carrot OR 8 baby carrots chopped
- 3/4 cup green peas
- 4 Tablespoons soy sauce
- green onions optional garnish
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat up 1 tablespoon of oil in a large pan.
- Add egg and cook, gently stirring, until done.
- Remove onto a plate and break into smaller pieces.
- To pan, add 1 tablespoon of oil, heat up.
- Add onion and garlic and saute for about 3 minutes.
- Add chopped carrots and cook for 2 more minutes, stirring often.
- Add cauliflower rice and cook about 5 minutes, until cooked.
- Add soy sauce and egg, stir in and cook for 1 more minute.
- Remove from heat and season to taste.
- Serve garnished with chopped green onions.
This post was originally published on May 21st, 2016 and updated on May 23rd, 2019.