This homemade Breakfast Sausage is made with ground pork and seasonings, like herbs, garlic, and paprika. You can make it ahead of time and freeze it to always have it on hand!
Why This Recipe Works
I am bringing your favorite diner breakfast foods to your kitchen! Making them from scratch gives you the chance to make them as you like and control the ingredients and quality. This homemade breakfast sausage is made with simple ingredients: ground pork, herbs, garlic, paprika, salt, and pepper. You can form it into links or patties OR cook it to serve with sausage gravy and biscuits!
- ground pork: not Italian sausage;
- garlic: use fresh, minced for the best flavor;
- poultry herbs: thyme, rosemary, sage;
- seasoning: paprika, salt and pepper.
How to make homemade breakfast sausage?
- Place ground pork in a bowl and add the remaining ingredients.
- Mix everything well.
- You can chill the mixture for up to 12 hours, or use it right away. Scoop ¼ cup of mixture and form into ½" thick patties.
- Heat up vegetable or olive oil in a pan and fry patties until nicely brown on both sides.
- Serve with your favorite breakfast food: eggs, bacon, hashbrowns, etc.
Breakfast sausage seasoning:
The blend of spices and herbs I use in my recipe is a base that you can use as-is or add to it, depending on your preferences. I always use poultry seasoning trio: rosemary, thyme, and sage. You can even buy this blend of fresh herbs in the grocery store. If you like maple sausage, add maple syrup. If you like it spicy, add cayenne or crushed red pepper flakes. Want it a little sweet? Add brown sugar. Start with the base and add ingredients to create your favorite breakfast sausage!
Absolutely! Instead of forming the pork mixture into patties, form it into links. Scoop about 2 tablespoons of the mixture, then roll into a log. It helps to have wet hands while forming the links.
If you are using lean ground pork (80% lean), there might be not enough fat in it to make the sausage juicy. Add 3 to 4 slices of bacon, chopped to the sausage mixture before forming into patties.
Yes, you can easily make the sausage and freeze it raw or cooked. Prep the mixture as stated in the recipe, form it into patties, and freeze on a freezer paper-lined baking sheet, then place in a freezer bag OR fry in a pan, cool completely, then freeze. Thaw it in the fridge and cook in a pan before serving.
To bake the breakfast sausage, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F and bake sausage for 15 to 20 minutes. Check the internal temperature of each patty. If it's at least 165 degrees F, the sausage is done.
More breakfast recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Homemade Breakfast Sausage
- 1 lb ground pork
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon rosemary chopped
- ¼ teaspoon thyme
- ¼ teaspoon sage chopped
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- Place pork in a large mixing bowl.
- Add seasoning, garlic and herbs.
- Mix it thoroughly. Use your hands for best results.
- You can chill the mixture for up to 12 hours or use right away.
- Using an spring scoop or ¼ cup, scoop mixture and form into ½" thick patties OR scoop 2 tablespoons of pork mixture and form into links.
- Heat up a tablespoon of vegetable or olive oil in a pan and fry sausage on both sides until nicely brown and cooked through.
- Serve right away or cool completely and freeze.
- If you are using lean ground pork (80% lean), there might be not enough fat in it to make the sausage juicy. Add 3 to 4 slices of bacon, chopped to the sausage mixture before forming into patties.
- Prep the mixture as stated in the recipe, form into patties, and freeze on freezer paper-lined baking sheet, then place in a freezer bag OR fry in pan, cool completely, then freeze. Thaw it in the fridge and cook in a pan before serving.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use a calorie counter you are familiar with.
do you use fresh or dried herbs
Homemade breakfast sausage is the best! This was perfectly seasoned - absolutely delicious!
Pat Jenner says
This was the first time I made breakfast sausage and it was amazing! Thank you for this recipe.
Yum!! So much better than store bought & easy to make!! We love sausage in our home!