Baked Gnocchi with Sausage is a simple dinner for the whole family. Soft gnocchi is baked with Italian sausage sauce and cheese on top. Simple ingredients come together to make comfort food at its best!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
After my pillow-soft ricotta gnocchi recipe, I am sharing an easy, baked dish featuring these Italian dumplings. I made a flavorful sauce with Italian sausage and crushed tomatoes (no sugar-loaded pasta sauce here!), mixed it with gnocchi, poured into a baking dish, and topped it all with mozzarella and gouda cheese blend. After just 20 minutes in the oven, the dish was bubbly around the edges, and the cheese gloriously melted. Pure comfort food!
If you can, whip up a batch of my ricotta gnocchi for this dish. You can also use potato gnocchi (fresh or frozen).
- gnocchi (ricotta or potato)
- olive oil
- Italian sausage (I used mild)
- salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
- crushed tomatoes
- mozzarella cheese (freshly grated is recommended)
- gouda cheese (optional but recommended)
How to make baked gnocchi with sausage?
- Start by cooking gnocchi in boiling water for 2 minutes.
- Heat up olive oil in a skillet and add onion. Saute until almost translucent. Add garlic and saute until fragrant.
- Add Italian sausage and cook until browned.
- Add seasoning and crushed tomatoes. Bring the sauce to a simmer.
- Add cooked gnocchi and stir everything together.
- Butter a baking dish and spread gnocchi and sauce mixture.
- Top with cheese and bake until bubbly around the edges.
Storing and reheating leftovers:
Any leftovers should be stored in a container, in a fridge, for up to 4 days. To reheat, place servings on plates and heat up in the microwave on a casserole setting, or whole dish in the oven for 10 to 15 minutes.
Can I make it ahead of time?
Yes! This dish can be prepared and frozen for later. Perfect for new parents, busy weekdays, or when you are feeling under the weather. It's great to pull it out of the freezer, thaw, and bake!
What can I add to baked gnocchi?
- meat: use beef of ground turkey in place of Italian sausage;
- cheese: use ricotta in place of mozzarella;
- veggies: add spinach, fresh tomatoes, mushrooms, etc.
What to serve with this dish?
More Italian dinner ideas:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Baked Gnocchi with Sausage
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 lb Italian sausage I used mild
- 1 ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 24 oz crushed tomatoes
- 1 lb gnocchi
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup shredded gouda cheese
- Preheat the oven to 375° F. Grease 2 quart or 13" x 9" baking dish. Set aside.
- Bring a medium pot of water to a boil. Cook gnocchi in water for 2 minutes. Remove and set aside.1 lb gnocchi
- In a large skillet, heat up olive oil.1 tablespoon olive oil
- Add onion and saute until almost translucent.1 small yellow onion
- Add garlic and saute for 2 minutes, stirring often.3 garlic cloves
- Add Italian sausage and cook until brown, then 4 to 5 minutes longer OR until darker brown bits form at the bottom of the pan (you want the Maillard reaction) which will add even more flavor.1 lb Italian sausage
- Add Italian seasoning and crushed tomatoes. Season sauce with salt and pepper. Stir everything together and bring to a simmer.1 ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning, ½ teaspoon salt, 24 oz crushed tomatoes, ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Add gnocchi and stir with the sauce. Remove from heat and pour into prepared baking dish.
- Top gnocchi with cheese and bake in the oven for 20 minutes OR until bubbly along the edges and the cheese is melted.1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese, ½ cup shredded gouda cheese
- Remove from oven, let cool for 10 minutes, then serve. Garnish with fresh basil or Italian parsley.
- You can use ground beef or turkey in place of Italian sausage. Increase Italian seasoning to 2 and 1/ teaspoons.
- You can use ricotta cheese in place of mozzarella.
- Skip the meat and use mushrooms. Add spinach too!
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.