Avocado Egg Salad – healthy egg salad with avocado, red onion and creamy dill dressing with no mayo! Perfect for sandwiches or as an appetizer.
This Avocado Egg Salad is my new favorite twist on the classic dish. I added avocados and crunchy red onion and lightened up the dressing by replacing mayonnaise with natural sour cream and lemon juice. Season with dill, salt, pepper and freshly chopped parsley and you have a delicious egg salad for sandwiches, wraps or to serve with baguette slices.
You can enjoy your favorite egg salad with just a few additions and substitutions and no sacrifice in flavor. Tasty, filling and so easy to make, this salad is bound to become a family favorite.
- hard-boiled eggs
- red onion
- sour cream
- lemon juice
- salt and pepper
- fresh dill
- Start by chopping hard-boiled eggs, avocados and onions.
- Make salad dressing in a glass jar.
- Combine all ingredients before serving.
- This egg salad is delicious and perfect for sandwiches or served on baguette slices.
- My favorite way to cook eggs for egg salad is to use my Instant Pot digital pressure cooker. My 6-minute method works every single time and the eggs peel like a breeze.
- You can also use celery instead of onion.
Why this salad is a healthy option?
- To make the classic egg salad healthier, forget the mayo. You can still have a creamy egg salad without it. Simply use natural sour cream. It is similar in texture to Greek yogurt and as creamy as mayo.
- Add healthy fat like avocados and red onion for texture and crunch.
My favorite way to make a creamy salad dressing without mayonnaise, is to mix natural sour cream with lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and chopped parsley. It is perfect for egg salads, potato salads or as a substitute for store-bought ranch dressing. Simply, whisk together sour cream, lemon juice and and spices and pour over the salad ingredients.
More easy salad recipes:
For more easy salad recipes, browse our Salad category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Healthy egg salad with avocado, red onion and creamy dressing with no mayo! Perfect for sandwiches or as an appetizer.
- 5 hard boiled eggs
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup natural sour cream
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoons dried or fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
Roughly chop hard boiled eggs and place in large mixing bowl. Chop avocados and add to eggs. Add red onion.
In a measuring cup, whisk together natural sour cream, lemon juice, salt, pepper and herbs.
Pour dressing over salad ingredients and stir gently to coat.
Serve immediately or refrigerate in a bowl covered with saran wrap. Make sure each avocado pieces is covered with dressing so they won't brown.
Serve as sandwiches, wraps or with baguette slices.
You can use chopped celery instead of red onion in this salad. It adds nice crunchy texture.
This recipe was originally published on March 9th, 2018 and updated on May 27th, 2019.