Cheesy Potatoes Foil Packs Recipe – easy and delicious side dish that can be baked in the oven or cooked on the grill! No-mess clean up makes these perfect for a quick dinner!
If you tried dinners cooked in foil packs, you know the convenience and ease of no-clean up with this method. I am currently obsessed with these Cheesy Potatoes in Foil Packs that can be baked in the oven or on the grill. In just 20 minutes, the potatoes are cooked perfectly and ready to be topped with cheese to melt into ooey gooey goodness. The addition of just a tablespoon of onion to each serving gives them even more flavor. If desired, you can top the potatoes with chopped parsley or green onions or a blend of herbs. Want to make a whole meal? Add chicken or sausage and you have dinner ready!
To make these Cheesy Potatoes Foil Packs, I used one medium Russet potato per person. Simply peel, dice and place on a 12″ by 10″ sheet of aluminum foil. Add a tablespoon of chopped sweet onion, a tablespoon of butter, dash of salt and pepper and a drizzle of olive oil. Fold the longer sides of foil together but not too tight over the potatoes. Leave some room for the steam. Close the ends of the packet and place on a baking sheet and cook on a grill or in the oven. When done, top potatoes with cheese and scrunch sides of foil down. Place back in the oven under broiler OR close foil packets and let sit until the cheese is melted. Season to taste and serve.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CRUNCHY CREAMY SWEET NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS RIGHT INTO YOUR INBOX!
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
Cheesy Potatoes Foil Packs Recipe - easy and delicious side dish that can be baked in the oven or cooked on the grill! No-mess clean up makes these perfect for a quick dinner!
Recipe adapted from Taste of Home.
- 4 medium Russet or Idaho potatoes
- 4 tbsp unsalted butter
- 4 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1/2 medium sweet onion chopped
- 1/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 tsp kosher salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 1/2 tsp dried dill optional
- Prepare 4 sheets 12" x 10" of aluminum foil.
- Peel and dice potatoes.
Place one diced potato per sheet of foil. Add one tablespoon of diced onion. Place one tablespoon of butter on top of potatoes and drizzle one tablespoon of olive oil. Season potatoes with salt and pepper. Bring the longer sides of foil sheet together and make a couple of 1" folds to close. Make sure to leave enough room for the steam. Close tightly the shorter sides.
- Place foil packets on a large baking sheet.
- If baking in the oven: preheat to 375 degrees F. Place baking sheet in the oven and bake for 18 to 20 minutes. Carefully, open the pockets and allow steam to escape. Check if potatoes are soft. Sprinkle shredded cheese, dividing evenly over all pockets. Scrunch down the sides of foil and place sheet back in the oven to melt the cheese. You can broil them for 2 minutes, if desired.
- If cooking on the grill: preheat grill to medium heat. Place foil packs on the grill, close and cook for 10 minutes. Flip over and cook for 10 more minutes. Carefully open packs and allow steam to escape. Check if potatoes are done. Top with cheese and close packs for few more minutes to melt the cheese.
I used one medium potato per serving in this recipe. You can top potatoes with cooked crispy bacon, dollop of sour cream and chopped green onions for loaded potatoes.
OTHER DELICIOUS POTATOES RECIPES:
Seasoned Grilled Potatoes from Rachel Cooks
Grilled Potatoes with Rosemary and Paprika from Cookin’ Canuck
Lemon and Garlic Roasted Potatoes from Valerie’s Kitchen