Easy 2-Ingredient Flatbread Recipe – easy soft flatbread made with self-rising flour, natural sour cream and no yeast. Perfect for wraps, in place of pizza dough or dipped in curry.
The magical 2-ingredient dough is not at all new, however recently it’s gaining popularity. It’s easy, does not require any raising time since there is no yeast involved, it’s versatile and the final result is soft and delicious! You can use it to make bagels, pizza, pretzels, dinner rolls, flatbread and pita bread. It is a mix of self-rising flour and Greek yogurt. I don’t usually have self-rising flour on hand so I made my own mix. I also know that natural sour cream has a similar texture and consistency as Greek yogurt and it is perfect for this recipe.
WHAT IS FLATBREAD?
Flatbread is an unleavened bread, made without yeast. It is usually thin and crispy, perfect for breaking into pieces and dipping in curry or used for wraps with gyros meat or shawarma meat.
HOW DO I MAKE FLATBREAD?
Traditional flatbread is made with flour, water and salt. Simply mix the ingredients and form a dough. Divide into equal pieces, roll out and bake or fry.
HOW DO I MAKE FLATBREAD WITHOUT YEAST
To make a fluffy and soft flatbread without yeast, you will need another leavening agent. Self-rising flour is perfect for that because it contains baking powder. You can use store-bought self-rising flour or make your own mix. It’s very easy! The flour along with Greek yogurt or natural sour cream (or coconut yogurt to keep it vegan) creates a soft and pliable flatbread.
WHAT CAN I SUBSTITUTE FOR SELF-RISING FLOUR?
Self-rising flour is a mix of flour with leavening agent, like baking powder. You can make your own and store in a container or remember to add 1.5 teaspoon of baking powder and 1/4 teaspoon of salt per 1 cup of flour needed.
Natural sour cream can be found right next to regular and low-fat sour cream. It is usually the same price as regular sour cream and costs less than Greek yogurt. I have used sour cream in place of cream cheese in my crumb bars and they always come out perfect, so I was very excited to find that I can use the natural sour cream in place of Greek yogurt.
HOW TO MAKE 2-INGREDIENT FLATBREAD
To make this soft and pliable flatbread, measure out flour, baking powder and salt and combine in a large mixing bowl. Add natural sour cream and stir together with a wooden spoon or spatula. Form into a ball. Place on floured surface and let rest for 20 minutes. In the meantime, grease a cast iron skillet and set over medium to medium high heat.
Form the dough into a log and cut into 8 pieces. Start in the middle of the dough log and cut each half into two until you have 8 pieces. Form each piece of dough into a ball, flatten gently on floured surface and roll out into a thin circle.
Carefully, place the rolled out dough onto the preheated skillet and fry on each side for about 2 minutes OR until it is golden and golden brown spots form on the surface.
HOW TO USE FLATBREAD?
- use it in place of a yeast pizza dough, top with tomato sauce, pepperoni and cheese and bake until cheese is melted. So good!
- tore into pieces and serve with a big bowl of curry and rice.
- use as a wrap to serve shawarma or gyros meat and vegetables
- spread with hummus and top with veggies for a healthy lunch
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
–>> Follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram for latest recipe updates!
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
- 3 cups all-purpose flour see note if using self-rising flour
- 3 and 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 and 1/2 cups natural sour cream or Greek yogurt
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- Add natural sour cream and stir with a wooden spoon.
- Form the dough into a ball. Place on a floured surface. Let rest for 20 minutes.
- Next, form the dough into a log and slice in half. Slice each half into two and keep going until you have 8 pieces.
- Form each dough piece into a ball and roll out with a rolling pin into a thin circle.
- Grease a cast iron 11-inch skillet. Preheat oven medium to medium-high heat.
- Carefully, place each piece in skillet and fry on each side for 2 minutes OR until it is golden and golden brown spots appear on the surface.
- Remove from skillet and repeat with remaining pieces of dough.
If using self-rising flour, skip the baking powder and salt since the flour already has it.
Store cooled flatbread in a ziploc bag to prevent drying. Serve with curry and rice, as a mini pizza dough or in wraps with gyros or shawarma meat.
REMEMBER TO SUBSCRIBE TO CRUNCHY CREAMY SWEET NEWSLETTER FOR FREE AND RECEIVE NEW RECIPE NOTIFICATIONS RIGHT INTO YOUR INBOX!