Double Chocolate M&M Cookie Bars Recipe – quick and easy treat packed with chocolate and bright M&M’s! Fun and delicious bars that need to happen in your kitchen!
Apparently, I don’t have enough chocolate recipes on the blog, or so I have been told. Especially in the bars section. I do have a progressing obsession with bright and colorful M&M’s in my sweet treat recipes. I simply adore them!
Also, a stressful and busy week requires a hefty doze of chocolate. A mix-all-in-one-bowl kind of chocolate dessert always does the trick because there is a minimal waiting time to sink your teeth into this sweet, buttery and chocolatey goodness. The dough itself tastes absolutely sinful.
As always, I like to give you guys options so here they are:
– you can bake these bars in 8″ square pan for thick bars
– you can use milk or white chocolate or a combination for even more pizzazz
– you can scoop and roll the dough into balls and bake it into cookies (press additional chocolate chips into dough balls for a pretty look)
– M&M’s are of course optional but highly recommended.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted, 1 stick
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup and 3/4 all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate M&M's
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 13" x 9" baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and cornstarch).
- In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter and both sugars and whisk well. Whisk for about 2 minutes to give the sugar a chance to start dissolving.
- Add vanilla and egg and whisk until smooth.
- Add dry ingredients and chocolate chips to butter mixture and stir with a spatula until a uniform dough forms.
- Press dough into prepared pan. Sprinkle M&M's over dough and press gently.
- Bake bars for 18 to 20 minutes or until the dough appears dry on top.
- Cool in pan for 10 minutes, transfer onto cutting board. Cool completely, cut and serve.
- Store in air tight container for up to 5 days.