Double Chocolate M&M Cookie Bars Recipe – quick and easy treat packed with chocolate and bright M&M’s! Fun and delicious bars that need to happen in your kitchen!
Apparently, I don’t have enough chocolate recipes on the blog, or so I have been told. Especially in the bars section. I do have a progressing obsession with bright and colorful M&M’s in my sweet treat recipes. I simply adore them!
Also, a stressful and busy week requires a hefty doze of chocolate. A mix-all-in-one-bowl kind of chocolate dessert always does the trick because there is a minimal waiting time to sink your teeth into this sweet, buttery and chocolatey goodness. The dough itself tastes absolutely sinful.
As always, I like to give you guys options so here they are:
– you can bake these bars in 8″ square pan for thick bars
– you can use milk or white chocolate or a combination for even more pizzazz
– you can scoop and roll the dough into balls and bake it into cookies (press additional chocolate chips into dough balls for a pretty look)
– M&M’s are of course optional but highly recommended.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted, 1 stick
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 cup and 3/4 all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/2 cup chocolate M&M's
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
Line 13" x 9" baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking soda, salt and cornstarch).
In a large mixing bowl, combine melted butter and both sugars and whisk well. Whisk for about 2 minutes to give the sugar a chance to start dissolving.
Add vanilla and egg and whisk until smooth.
Add dry ingredients and chocolate chips to butter mixture and stir with a spatula until a uniform dough forms.
Press dough into prepared pan. Sprinkle M&M's over dough and press gently.
Bake bars for 18 to 20 minutes or until the dough appears dry on top.
Cool in pan for 10 minutes, transfer onto cutting board. Cool completely, cut and serve.
Store in air tight container for up to 5 days.