Peppermint Rice Krispies Treats - your favorite treat gets a holiday makeover! Soft and chewy rice krispies topped with white chocolate and crushed peppermint candy. Perfect to munch on while watching Christmas movies!
I know it's only Wednesday, but let's talk about this weekend. What are your plans? I am (ambitiously, you could say) planning to finish all of my holiday shopping by Friday and spend the whole weekend cozy at home. There is snow in the forecast which will make it even less desirable for me to leave the house. Besides, I will do anything to avoid the crowds in stores. They make me feel so claustrophobic!
I plan on making a big bowl of gingerbread popcorn (oh my word!! the best ever!!), slow cooker hot chocolate, these Peppermint rice krispies treats, watch Christmas movies and play games. Nothing more, nothing less.
Our tree is prettier than ever and ready for the gifts. I still need to wrap them but that will happen when the kiddos are asleep, the night before Christmas.
I know these treats are super easy and you probably do not need a recipe for them, but I promise - they are the best rice krispies you have ever had! The basic recipe is what I use when the brown butter version won't match the flavor combo. The secret here is the ratio of butter to mini marshmallows. It makes these treats soft (instead the scratchy hard) and chewy. LOVE them!!
A couple of drops of peppermint extract to the marshmallow mixture and you have a wintery version! Top it all with melted white chocolate and crushed peppermint candy and just like that - a holiday treat that will disappear faster than you can say "Enjoy!".
Peppermint Rice Krispies Treats
- 4 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 12 oz package mini marshmallows
- 2 drops peppermint extract
- 6 cups rice krispies cereal
- 1 cup white chocolate chips
- 6 peppermint candies crushed
- Line a 13" by 9" pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- Butter a large bowl. Place cereal in the bowl.
- In a medium saucepan, melt the butter.
- Add marshmallows and stirring often, cook until almost melted.
- Remove from the heat, add the extract and stir until all of the marshmallows are melted.
- Pour the mixture over the cereal. Stir until coated.
- Press the cereal mixture into the prepared pan. Gently flatten the top.
- Cool completely.
- Place the chocolate in a heat-proof bowl and melt in a microwave.
- Stir until smooth.
- Spread over the top of the rice krispies treats.
- Sprinkle crushed peppermint candy over the chocolate.
- Let sit until the chocolate is set.
- Cut into bars and serve.
- Keep in an air-tight container for up to 1 week.
I doubled the recipe to make them taller, and mixed a little of the crushed peppermint in the center. They came out great!
RKT's with peppermint for the holidays? Perfection! I hope you and your family had a joyous and meaningful Christmas, Anna. 🙂 Wishing you and your family a happy, healthy and prosperous New Year! xo
Thank you so much, Stacy! xoxo
So festive and so delicious! I love everything about them!
Thank you, Shinee!
I love this peppermint twist on rice krispies, so good!
Girrrrl, stay away from the crowds!! Some of those people are a bit cray-cray! Besides, a pan of these amazing treats next to you and Amazon on your screen should be enough to make your last minute shopping a super awesome experience!
Agreed! Thanks, Kate!
I haven't had rice crispies in forever! This is such a yummy way to make them fastive for Christmas!
Thanks so much, Tori!