Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Wings Recipe - juicy chicken wings with sweet and spicy rub are cooked in the Instant Pot, then coated in rich BBQ sauce and broiled to crisp up the skin. You have to try these!
INSTANT POT BBQ CHICKEN WINGS
Just take a look at these juicy and sticky Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Wings. Next, make plans to make a batch ASAP because these chicken wings are so tasty and incredibly easy to make, just like my Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken.
Since BBQ season is almost here, and the backyard potlucks are being planned, it's time to pull out the grills and the Instant Pots. That's right! My trusty digital pressure cooker is helping me make the juiciest and most succulent chicken breasts, wings, pulled pork sandwiches and pork ribs. Then all my Hubby needs to do is throw them onto the grill to caramelize and add the smoky flavor. I will be serving these BBQ Chicken Wings along our favorite sides, like potato salads, coleslaw and of course lemonade!
HOW TO COOK BBQ CHICKEN WINGS IN INSTANT POT?
To cook BBQ chicken wings in the digital pressure cooker like Instant Pot, place trivet in the insert and add 1/2 cup of water to the bottom of it. Pat the trimmed chicken wings with paper towel, rub with spices and arrange on the trivet. Close the lid, switch the valve to "sealing" position and set timer to 5 minutes. Make sure the Instant Pot is set to high pressure. When ready, the IP will beep and start coming to pressure. That might take about 10 minutes. When it's done, it will beep again. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes. Then switch valve to "venting" position to quickly release any remaining pressure. Next, toss cooked chicken wings in barbecue sauce. Arrange on aluminum foil-lined baking sheet and place under broiler OR place on outdoor grill and cook until the BBQ sauce caramelizes 3 to 5 minutes. Serve with additional BBQ sauce and lots of napkins!
The Instant Pot pressure cooker helps you cook chicken wings faster, keep them juicy and you don't have to heat up the house by turning the oven on.
HOW TO CUT CHICKEN WINGS?
If you buy chicken wings whole, you need to trim them. A chicken wing consists of three parts: a wing tip, the wingette and the drumette. First, locate the joint between the tip and the middle part of the wing. Cut through to separate. Discard tips or use to make chicken stock. Next, locate the joint between the drumette and the middle part of the wing and cut through. Now you have two pieces of the wing to use. Follow the recipe for BBQ chicken wings below.
You can use my spice rub in this recipe, use your own if you have a favorite or a store-bought. Make sure the chicken wings are patted dry before applying the rub. When it comes to the sauce, you can use any kind you like or try our Homemade BBQ Sauce recipe. It's very easy and so tasty!
More recipes like this:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Instant Pot BBQ Chicken Wings recipe
- 3 lbs chicken wings cut, tips discarded
- 3 tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- ¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ground paprika
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ cup water
- ½ cup BBQ sauce
- 2 tablespoons hot sauce optional
- Place trivet in the Instant Pot insert. Add ½ cup of water to the bottom of it.
- In a small bowl, whisk together brown sugar, cayenne, garlic powder, paprika, salt and pepper. Set aside.
- Trim chicken wings if needed (see note), sprinkle with spice mix and rub it in with your fingers. Arrange chicken wings on the trivet. Close the IP lid, set the valve to "sealing" position and make sure the IP is set to high pressure. Press "manual" setting and adjust timer to 5 minutes. The IP will beep after a few seconds and start coming to pressure.
- Once done, the pressure cooker will beep. Press "cancel/off" button. Let the IP release pressure naturally for 10 minutes. Then, flip the valve to "venting" position and release any remaining pressure. Carefully open the lid away from your face. Remove chicken wings and place on a plate or in bowl.
- Pour BBQ sauce over chicken wings. Toss gently to coat.
- To finish off in the oven: arrange chicken wings on aluminum foil lined baking sheet. Place under broiler and broil for 2 to 5 minutes or until the skin looks caramelized. Remove from oven, let cool and serve.
- To finish off on a grill: place sauce coated chicken wings on grill, over the fire, and cook until the sauce is caramelized, flipping over as needed. Remove, let cool and serve.
- If you buy chicken wings whole, you need to trim them. A chicken wing consists of three parts: a wing tip, the wingette and the drumette. First locate the joint between the tip and the middle part of the wing. Cut through to separate. Discard tips or use to make chicken stock. Next, locate the joint between the drumette and the middle part of the wing and cut through. Now you have two pieces of the wing to use.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.