Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken Recipe – pulled chicken with sweet pineapple BBQ sauce cooked in pressure cooker. Perfect served as sandwiches!
One of the fastest chicken dinners I make during summer is a slow cooker BBQ chicken. It is as easy as placing chicken in the crock pot and topping it with BBQ sauce. I jazzed up the idea and converted it to use in my Instant Pot and now I have a new family favorite! And it’s as easy yet much faster to make!
This Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken is the perfect summer dinner! You do not need to stand over a hot grill or heat up the house with an oven. Simply add chicken, pineapple with juice and BBQ sauce to your IP and let it cook. If you have pork on hand, you have to try my Best Instant Pot Pulled Pork too!
- chicken breasts
- pineapple chunks in juice
- BBQ sauce
Pulled chicken (and pork!) in barbecue sauce is very easy to cook in the Instant Pot. It’s a quick and easy way to make a summer dish without a ton of ingredients.
- Simply place boneless skinless chicken breasts in the Instant Pot, add pineapple juice and pineapple chunks and stir.
- Next, pour BBQ sauce over chicken. You can use your favorite brand or try our Homemade BBQ Sauce recipe. Do not stir or turn the chicken over.
- Close the lid, turn the valve to sealing position and let the IP do it’s magic! After 12 minutes, release the pressure, shred or pull the chicken with two fork, return to the sauce and serve in buns. I love topping it with creamy coleslaw, like out KFC Coleslaw Copycat, or a simple purple cabbage and red onion slaw.
What pineapple is best for this dish?
I used canned pineapple because it’s easy. For two chicken breasts, I used only 1/2 cup of the juice and 1 cup of pineapple chunks. You can use the whole 21-ounce can for a double amount of chicken. You can use fresh pineapple as well! Simply chop it into bite size pieces, add 1 cup of them to the IP. Use store-bought pineapple juice or use chicken stock.
I like to serve the pulled BBQ chicken in a bun, topped with a simple coleslaw. You can serve potato wedges, fries or potato salad alongside. I also love to make baked potatoes and top them with this Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken. So delicious!
More BBQ recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners, filled with all the info you need to get started with your new appliance!
Instant Pot Hawaiian BBQ Chicken recipe
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 1 cup pineapple chunks
- 1/2 cup pineapple juice
- 1.5 cups BBQ sauce
- Make sure the stainless steel insert is in your Instant Pot. Place chicken breasts on the bottom of the insert. Add pineapple juice and stir. Arrange pineapple chunks over chicken and along side, make sure no chunks are under the chicken.
- Pour BBQ sauce over chicken. Do not stir.
- Place lid on your Instant Pot, switch the valve to "sealing" position. Press "manual" button and adjust timer to 12 minutes. The IP will beep shortly and start coming to pressure.
- When the timer is done, the IP will beep. Press "cancel/off" button. Carefully, switch the valve to "venting" position to release the pressure.
- When all pressure is released, carefully and away from your face, open the IP. Remove chicken breast onto a plate and shred or pull with two forks.
- Return chicken to IP and stir with the sauce.
- If the sauce is too runny to your likings, you can set the IP to saute function and let the chicken simmer for a few minutes until the sauce thickens.
- Serve in buns, topped with coleslaw, if desired.