Homemade Fudge Brownies - the one and only recipe for fudgy brownies you will ever need! Learn the simple trick to get the flaky, crunchy top!
When it comes to brownies, we all have our favorite. It has to be just right or it's just a brownie. If you are a fan of ultra fudgy brownies with a crunchy, meringue-like top - this recipe is for you! You won't need any special ingredients. You probably have everything on hand already. I used regular unsweetened cocoa powder here as it is the easiest to get. You can use Dutch processed cocoa however it may produce drier texture. It is common for this type of cocoa. The rest is just sugar, eggs, vanilla, flour, oil, chocolate chips and salt.
- vegetable oil
- unsweetened cocoa powder
- granulated sugar
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- chocolate chips
- Start by whisking oil and cocoa powder.
- In a separate bowl, whisk eggs and sugar until the mixture is pale and thick.
- Combine both mixtures and whisk until smooth.
- Stir in vanilla and fold in flour.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Pour mixture into a parchment paper lined baking pan.
- Bake until the top appears dry and cracked on the edges.
- Cool brownies completely before cutting.
Can I double this recipe?
This recipe is for a 8" square baking pan. It's perfect for those days when you are craving a real fudge brownie but don't need a whole big pan to tempt you for days. If you want to double the recipe, use 9" x 13" pan and double the ingredients. Bake for 32 to 35 minutes.
How to make brownies with crunchy meringue top?
Recently, I have been on a mission to find a recipe that makes a fudgy brownie with a meringue-like top. It's crunchy, flaky but not shiny. After several batches, I came to realize that beating the eggs with sugar for 2 full minutes, until they are pale and thick - creates the desired top.
More brownie recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
Homemade Fudge Brownies
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet or milk chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Line an 8" square baking pan with aluminum foil or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together oil and cocoa powder until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat eggs and sugar with an electric mixer for 2 full minutes, until pale and thickened.
- Add cocoa mixture to eggs mixture and mix until smooth. Add vanilla and mix in.
- Fold in flour with a spatula, until no flour streaks remain. Add chocolate chips and stir in.
- Pour the batter into a pan. Tap the pan against counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake brownies for 23 to 24 minutes. The top should be dry and cracking on the sides.
- Cool brownies completely before slicing.