Chocolate Chip Pancakes are fluffy buttermilk pancakes filled with chocolate chips to start your day right! Learn my trick to getting fluffy pancakes every time!
Every Saturday evening, our kids are excited to go to bed. Like actually in a hurry to go to bed. Not on Monday, not on Wednesday or any other day of the week – only Saturday. The reason – Sunday morning breakfast. Because every Sunday I make pancakes and waffles for breakfast.
- all-purpose flour
- granulate sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- buttermilk (See note for homemade)
- vanilla extract
- chocolate chips
Since I make pancakes every week, you bet I learned my favorite recipe and learned a trick or two to get them perfectly fluffy every time. My secret? Buttermilk, or sour milk actually. I never buy buttermilk in a store. I always make it myself. All you need is whole milk and vinegar. It’s perfect for cakes, cupcakes, sweet breads, loaf cakes and of course pancakes. But sometimes, it just so happens that the pancake batter comes out a little too thin and the pancakes fry up flat. And no one likes flat pancakes.
There is a fail-proof way to get a perfect batter and perfect pancakes every time! The secret lies in half and half (a mix of cream and milk). I discovered that if you use half and half (or equal part of cream and milk) and mix it with apple cider vinegar (I always use ACV in my cooking and leave the white one for cleaning) – you will get thick and rich buttermilk. Perfectly sour to react with baking soda in the batter and make it thick. You should be able to run the spatula across and see the bottom of your bowl for a second or two. If your batter is thick – your pancakes will be thick.
To jazz up my pancakes a little bit this week, I added semi-sweet chocolate chips. Because chocolate for breakfast is totally acceptable, allowed and recommended for a weekend breakfast. 🙂 You are welcome.
More easy breakfast recipes:
- Peanut Butter Jelly Pancakes Recipe
- Fluffy Whole Wheat Pancakes Recipe
- Apple Cider Pancakes
- Mini Pancake Muffins Recipe
- Best Sunday Waffles Recipe
- Best Blueberry Pancakes
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Chocolate Chip Pancakes
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 3 Tablespoons granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup + 2 Tablespoons half and half see note
- 1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 large egg
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt).
- In a measuring cup, combine half and half and apple cider vinegar. Stir few times and let sit 2 to 3 minutes. It should thicken up and half and half should sour.
- Add egg, oil and vanilla to medium bowl or large measuring cup. Whisk until smooth. Add half and half and vinegar mixture. Whisk to combine. Add the wet ingredients and chocolate chips to dry ingredients and stir to combine. Do not overmix. The batter should be slightly lumpy. After few minutes (while the griddle pan heats up), the batter will thicken and have bubbles.
- Using an ice cream scoop, scoop the batter (1 scoop per pancake) and fry on one side until bubbles form holes around the edges and towards the center. Flip pancakes and fry on the other side for 10 to 15 seconds. I always melt 1 tablespoon of butter on the griddle while it heats up.
- Serve warm with a slice of butter and drizzle of maple syrup.
- Half and half is often found next to coffee creamer in the dairy section of a grocery store. It's a combination of light cream and whole milk. You can substitute whole milk but from my experience it will not make as fluffy pancakes.
- Half and half mixed with apple cider vinegar makes the best homemade buttermilk and that's what I use. For this recipe you can also use store-bought buttermilk in place of the half and half and vinegar mixture.