Quick Chocolate Zucchini Bread – sweet and moist chocolate bread that will quickly become your favorite way to use up the zucchini! Super easy to make and absolutely delicious!
CHOCOLATE ZUCCHINI BREAD
Yes, it’s zucchini yet again. Please, don’t say that you want all things pumpkin already! I am holding onto the summer food for a bit longer. And to convince you – I am bringing a chocolate treat. Because chocolate always wins!
This double chocolate bread has two cups of shredded zucchini, a cup of chocolate chips and tastes just like brownies! It will become your favorite zucchini baked good this season!
How to make Chocolate Zucchini Bread?
- Start by grating the zucchini. Squeeze our as much moisture as you can.
- Whisk together dry ingredients.
- Stir in zucchini.
- Whisk wet ingredients together in a large (2-cup) measuring cup.
- Stir all ingredients together. Do not overmix!
- Pour into loaf pan. Tap against the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake until toothpick comes out clean.
- Cool completely before slicing.
What you need to make this recipe (your shopping list):
- zucchini (2 cups)
- cocoa powder
- baking powder
- baking soda
- buttermilk (See note for homemade)
- vanilla extract
- vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- chocolate chips
Baking with Zucchini:
When baking with zucchini, it is important to squeeze out as much moisture out of this vegetable as possible. If you won’t do that, zucchini will release water during baking and the final result will not be as expected. The best way to squeeze out the water, is to place shredded zucchini on a double stack of paper towels (or use cheese cloth), fold into a sack and squeeze out over the sink.
How to make Healthy Chocolate Zucchini Bread?
To make this bread a healthier option, use whole wheat flour, coconut sugar (or brown sugar), applesauce in place of eggs and almond milk to make the homemade buttermilk.
Tips for the best zucchini bread:
- zucchini: do not skip the step of squeezing out the water out of shredded zucchini
- cocoa: sift cocoa powder over dry ingredients, as it tends to clump up in the container.
- don’t overmix: gently stir all ingredients together with a spatula or wooden spoon (do not use mixer!) for perfectly baked bread.
More Zucchini Recipes:
If you enjoy this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
Sweet and moist chocolate bread that will quickly become your favorite way to use up the zucchini! Super easy to make and absolutely delicious!
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1.5 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup granulated sugar white
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 large egg
- 2 cups shredded zucchini moisture squeezed out (see note)
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
Grease and flour a 9" x 5" loaf pan. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, salt and sugar). Add zucchini and stir to coat. Add chocolate chips and stir again.
In another mixing bowls, whisk together the wet ingredients (buttermilk, oil and egg). Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir it all together with a wooden spoon or a spatula. Do not overmix.
Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan. Bake for 40 to 50 minutes OR until a toothpick inserted in few places in the bread comes out clean.
Cool the bread in pan for 10 minutes. Remove from pan onto a cooling rack or a cutting board. Cool completely before slicing.
It is very important to squeeze as much moisture from the shredded zucchini as possible. Use a stack of two paper towels or cheese cloth.
To make homemade buttermilk: whisk 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar and enough half and half to make 1 cup of liquid. Let sit for 3 to 4 minutes. It should thicken and curdle.
This post was originally published on August 26th, 2015 and updated on May 30th, 2019.