This Egg Drop Soup is one of the easiest Chinese soups you can make in your own kitchen from scratch. Just a few pantry ingredients and 15 minutes is all you need to make it!
One of the easiest soups and Asian dishes you can make at home is hands down Egg Drop Soup. It's made by slowly pouring beaten eggs into flavorful hot chicken stock and stirring constantly to create ribbons. A finishing touch of sesame oil and fresh and crisp chopped green onions adds even more flavor to this classic restaurant favorite!
- chicken stock: I recommend low-sodium
- soy sauce: I used reduced-sodium
- cornstarch: needed to thicken the soup
- eggs: well beaten; I recommend counting 1 egg per person
- sesame oil: the perfect finishing touch
- green onions: for bright and fresh garnish
- salt and pepper
How to make Egg Drop Soup?
- Start by heating up chicken stock in a pot, over medium heat.
- Add cornstarch (mixed with water so it won't clump up) and soy sauce.
- Beat eggs well.
- Slowly pour eggs into hot stock and stir constantly.
- Just before serving, add sesame oil and green onions.
- use good quality stock (either chicken or vegetable); best if you have homemade
- make sure to beat the eggs well
- stir constantly while slowly pouring the eggs to create the ribbons
- sesame oil should be added last and just before serving; do not add too much! It's very potent and a little bit goes a long way.
What else can I add to this soup?
The most common additions are scallions. You will also often find it served with tofu, mushrooms or rice.
Storing and reheating egg drop soup:
This soup is best served the same day as it's made. The egg ribbons will lose their texture, the longer the soup sits. I don't recommend freezing it either.
More Asian recipes:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Asian category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment!
Egg Drop Soup
- 4 cups chicken stock
- 2 tablespoons cornstarch
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1 tablespoon low-sodium soy sauce
- 3 large eggs
- 1/2 teaspoon sesame oil
- 3 green onions chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a medium saucepan or soup pot, heat up chicken stock, over medium heat.
- Mix cornstarch with water and add to stock. Stir in well.
- Add soy sauce and stir in.
- Bring the soup to a simmer.
- Beat eggs in a small bowl.
- Slowly pour eggs, stirring the soup constantly.
- Just before serving, add sesame oil and green onions. Season with salt and pepper.
- Sesame oil should be added last and just before serving; do not add too much! It’s very potent and a little bit goes a long way.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.