These Chocolate Chip Blondies Recipe are buttery cookie bars loaded with chocolate chips. Quick and easy to make, no mixer needed!
Why You'll Love This Dessert
When you are craving a gooey melt-in-your-mouth dessert and need it fast, blondies are the way to go. It's the easiest recipe for cookie bars. You will love the butterscotch flavor alongside the semi-sweet chocolate chips. These Chocolate Chip Blondies are a one-bowl, no-mixer dessert that you will be making over and over. The buttery and gooey texture and lots of chocolate chips make them totally irresistible! Serve still slightly warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream for a la mode treat.
What are Blondies bars?
Blondies are similar in texture to brownies but do not contain cocoa powder or chocolate. They have a butterscotch flavor thanks to the mixture of brown sugar and butter. Some say it is a bar version of chocolate chip cookies, however unlike the cookies, typically blondies do not have granulated sugar but only brown sugar.
What You'll Need:
- unsalted butter
- brown sugar
- vanilla extract
- all-purpose flour
- baking powder
- baking soda
- chocolate chips
How to make blondies dessert bars?
Blondies are very simple to make.
- You only need a bowl and a wooden spoon or spatula to make the dough. No mixer needed!
- Simply, stir together melted butter and brown sugar.
- Add vanilla and egg and stir until the egg is incorporated.
- Add the dry ingredients and stir together.
- The dough should be thick and sticky.
- You can add chocolate chips, lemon zest and white chocolate, any chocolate candy, pretzels or swirl in caramel sauce or fudge sauce.
- Bake until the edges are puffed up and the top looks dry but the center wiggles when you shake the pan gently. Let the bars cool completely before cutting.
Since these cookie bars are soft and chewy (thanks to melted butter and brown sugar), I recommend storing them in a container with lid. They will keep the texture and not dry out.
More dessert bars recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Chocolate Chip Blondies
- ½ cup unsalted butter melted
- 1 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- ½ teaspoon baking powder
- ⅛ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line an 8" square baking pan with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together melted butter and brown sugar. Stir well.
- Add vanilla extract and egg and stir until the egg is well incorporated.
- Add dry ingredients and stir until the dough is thick and sticky.
- Stir in chocolate chips.
- Spread the dough in prepared pan. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. For me the magic number was 22 minutes. The edges should be puffed up and the top appear dry but if you gently shake the pan it should still jiggle slightly.
- Let the bars cool in pan completely.
- Cut into squares and serve.
- You can use any add-ons in this recipe: shredded coconut, butterscotch chips, lemon zest, white chocolate chips, pretzels, chocolate candy, sprinkles or funfetti OR swirl in caramel sauce or fudge sauce.
- Serve blondies while still slightly warm with a scoop of ice cream for a la mode treat.
- You can bake these blondies in an 8" pie pan and serve as a cookie pie.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
Are the mix ins you suggest in place of the chocolate chips or in addition to? Thank you!
Hi Janet! They are suggestions that you can use in place of chocolate chips or combine with them. Enjoy!
If I want to do this in a 9x13 pan.. can I just double the recipe? Made them last week and just no words... my son and husband loved them...
Hi Kathy! Yep, just double the ingredients. Hope this helps!
They’re cooking as I write this...my son will enjoy them
These are the best blondies ever! They have such a good flavor from the brown sugar. I might have slightly browned my butter when melting it, because they had a slightly browned butter/rich, caramel-like flavor. They’re chewy and delicious even the next day. I made them exactly as written. Love how simple and quick they are to make, too.
Delicious! I used cake/pastry flour instead of all purpose flour.
Heather Kleine says
These are quick and easy and my 10 year old fell in love with them. We have already made 2 double batches of them. Thanks for the recipe.
Awww! I love that! Thank you so much, Heather!
My new favorite recipe - I am on my third batch! This is the easiest and most delicious thing to quickly whip up and my search for the perfect blondie is over. I love the rich butterscotch flavor and the crackly top. Just perfection.
Yay! I am so glad the blondies are a hit! Thank you, Laurie!
These are so good! Quick and easy too. My kids love them! I’m trying them with mini marshmallows added tonight. 7 minutes to go! Thanks for the recipe!
I found it to be too sweet and I had to lower it to 325 the last twenty minutes because the inside wasn’t cooking.
The center won't look dry. It's supposed to be gooey. You need to let it cool completely before cutting and serving.
Can I leave out the chocolate chips without altering the recipe?
Yes, the bars will still be delicious!
I loved these! I doubled the recipe, added m&ms, and used a gluten free flour blend as a substitute for all-purpose flour, and they turned out great! Thank you for the recipe!
Thank you for sharing your substitutions. That's super helpful! Thank you so much, Maddy!
How can this recipe be made using a 9x13” pan?
I'm just going to make it 1 1/2 times the recipe.
Did you use 2 eggs?
Christi Johnstone says
I am such a sucker for blondies, and these are absolutely amazing!
Thank you, Christi!
My kids would devour these in no time!
This dessert looks divine.
These blondies look amazing! I will be pinning this for later!
Jacque Hastert says
It's hard to top any blondie and this one is on the top of my list 🙂
Allyson Zea says
OMG these are the ultimate!!!
These blondies look so decadent!
I love the flaky crust and the ooey gooey goodness on the inside! I also love all your ideas for mix ins!