Caramel Stuffed Chocolate Chip Cookies – these giant cookies are soft and chewy and filled with chocolate and caramel. You have to try them!
These cookies are epic. EPIC. In size, flavor and texture.
You say “chocolate and caramel” and I am there. Done and done. No need to convince me. I know it’s the best flavor combo ever!
Chocolate chip cookies can be pretty amazing by themselves. But stuff them with caramel and you are entering a whole new world. It’s like hiding the best present ever inside an already yummy treat. Pass me the plate!
I took my favorite cookie dough that makes soft and chewy and thick cookies and made these giant caramel stuffed version. Like I said – epic. These are the best while still slightly warm. The chocolate is melty and the caramel center is soft and gooey. So much goodness!
Can you handle the gooeyness of these cookies?
With this amazing treat you have to go big or go home. I made these cookies twice as big than usually: one cookie dough scoop for the bottom, one caramel square stuffed in the center and covered with another cookie dough scoop. Roll in your hands to make a perfect ball and bake for 11 minutes. The gorgeous folds on the surface will form while the cookie is cooling. This recipe makes only one dozen but that’s because these cookies are big. You can also make 24 cookies, stuffing the center of each one cookie scoop with half of a caramel square. I tried both ways and they are both amazing. You can make the dough, scoop it out and freeze it for later. There is no need to chill the dough. I baked one tray of freshly made dough and one with dough chilled for 24 hours. The cookies baked after chilling were slightly thicker. As far as flavor, they were both great.
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter softened
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 3/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3.5 oz package vanilla pudding mix
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1.5 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 12 caramel squares unwrapped
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add both sugars and cream until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix on low just until incorporated.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, pudding mix, baking soda and salt).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just few times. Add 1 cup of the semi-sweet chocolate chips, reserving the rest for placing on top of cookie dough balls. Mix until all flour mixture is incorporated.
- Scoop the dough with a medium cookie scoop (1 and 1/2 tablespoon size). Place one caramel square in the middle of the dough ball and press half way down. Scoop another cookie dough ball and place on top. Roll in your hands until one big ball is formed and the caramel is well hidden in the center. Place on a cookie sheet. Place few chips on the ball, pressing gently.
- Bake the cookies for 9 to 11 minutes. Cool cookies for at least 10 minutes on the cookie sheet. Transfer onto a cooling rack.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
Make sure you have a tall glass of milk while devouring these cookies. They are packed with chocolate chips and caramel which makes them pretty rich. They also make a fabulous treat on a chilly day with a hot cup of latte. Best thing ever!