Soft and Chewy Butterscotch Snickerdoodles - cinnamon and butterscotch are paired perfectly in these soft and chewy snickerdoodles! That's one amazing cookie!
Since it's officially fall, I have all of the fall flavors on my mind. All of my spices (cinnamon, nutmeg, cloves, etc.) are front row in my pantry. They are being used almost everyday. I baked a batch of these cookies on fall's first morning. It was chilly and baking a treat with cinnamon just had to happen.
One cookie that's on my mind as soon as the leaves turn is snickerdoodle. It's are also my Hubby's favorite. I finally mastered it and it was a huge hit! Then I couldn't help myself but had to add butterscotch chips to it. Best decision ever!!
These cookies will make you weak in your knees! They are soft yet chewy in the center. When completely cooled, they have a slightly crispy edges. The butterscotch takes them to a whole new level! It pares so incredibly well with the cinnamon coating! These should happen in your kitchen!
Don't you just love the folds in these cookies? They make you swoon! And then you take a bite and you are left speechless. OMG, so much chewy and melt-in-your-mouth goodness! You won't be able to stop at just one. 🙂
HOW TO MAKE SOFT AND CHEWY BUTTERSCOTCH SNICKERDOODLES?
The dough is really simple: cream the butter with sugars, add egg and vanilla. Whisk the dry ingredients together and stir in with the wet. No chilling required. The batch you see in the photos was baked with fresh dough. I chilled half of the dough for 2 hours and didn't really notice a difference. BUT! Chilling the cookie dough let's the flavors to combine and strengthen. If you want to make cookies and eat them right away, you can. If you are making them ahead of time - that works great too! I love when you have options like that!
The cookies will puff up during baking and as they cool down on the cookie sheet, they will go down and the glorious fold will appear.
I stirred half of the butterscotch chips into the dough and used the rest to place on top of each cookie dough ball just before baking. Just for a pretty factor. 🙂
For a recipe without pudding mix, check out my ultimate The Best Chewy Snickerdoodles Recipe.
Soft and Chewy Butterscotch Snickerdoodles
- ½ cup unsalted butter softened
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¾ cup packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 large egg room temperature
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 3 ½ oz package vanilla pudding mix or butterscotch pudding for stronger flavor!
- ½ teaspoon cream of tartar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 ½ cup butterscotch chips
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- 1 Tablespoon ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 350° F.
- Line a baking sheet with a silicon baking mat or parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream butter with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add both sugars and cream until light and fluffy, about 2 minutes.
- Add egg and vanilla and mix on low just until incorporated.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, pudding mix, baking soda, cream of tartar, salt and cinnamon).
- Add the dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and stir just few times. Add half of the butterscotch chips, reserving the rest for placing on top of cookie dough balls. Mix until all flour mixture is incorporated.
- Mix sugar and cinnamon in a small bowl.
- Scoop the dough with a medium cookie scoop (1 and 1/2 tablespoon size). Roll each scoop in the cinnamon sugar mixture. Place on a cookie sheet. Place few chips on the ball, pressing gently.
- Bake the cookies for 8 to 10 minutes (my magic number was 9). Cool cookies for at least 10 minutes on the cookie sheet. Transfer onto a cooling rack.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 5 days.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀