Sweet Potato Casserole with Praline Marshmallow Topping Recipe – a Thanksgiving dinner classic with two delicious toppings!
Oh, sweet potato casserole! Why do you have to be so ugly yet so absolutely delicious?! But honestly, photographing this casserole was a nightmare. It was also the reason I didn’t share this recipe last year. I make this casserole every year for our Annual Family Day and our Thanksgiving dinner yet never share it here on my blog. It’s just so not photogenic! But this year I decided that I just need to share this recipe with you because I want you to try it and love it as much as we do!
At least after the photos were taken, I got my reward. A plate full of this sweet potato goodness topped with gooey marshmallows AND praline topping. That’s right! This baby has two toppings because in our family we can’t decide which one is the best and should be the one.
This sweet potato casserole beats any other Thanksgiving side dish, except stuffing. My Hubby and the kiddos are crazy about the stuffing too! All of us are always excited for a big scoop of both of them on our plates.
The toasted marshmallow topping is our kiddos favorite and the praline topping is my Hubby’s and mine favorite. Making them both on one casserole means everyone gets what they love. Yay! Although, I do like a scoop of it with both toppings at once. 😀
You can easily make this casserole a day ahead, store the praline topping in a ziploc bag. When ready to bake, just sprinkle the praline topping on top and pop the whole thing into the oven for 25 minutes. Next, top with mini marshmallows and bake another 3 to 5 minutes, just so the marshmallows are toasted. Watch it carefully, so they won’t burn! For the praline topping I used chopped walnuts but of course, pecans will work as well.
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR HOLIDAY DINNER BOARD!
CLICK HERE TO SHARE ON FACEBOOK.
- 2 lbs sweet potatoes
- 2 large eggs well beaten
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- Butter 2 quart casserole dish. Set aside.
- Peel and dice sweet potatoes. Cook in a pot with water until soft.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Once potatoes are cooked, drain and mash. Add butter and mix until melted.
- In a small mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, brown sugar, vanilla and salt. Add to mashed sweet potatoes and mix well. Spread potato mixture in prepared casserole dish. Set aside.
- In another mixing bowl, mix together sugar, flour, salt and nuts. Add melted butter and stir with a fork, until it forms crumbly dough.
- Sprinkle dough in desired pattern over the mashed potatoes.
- Bake casserole for 25 minutes. Add mini marshmallows. Place dish back in the oven and bake until the marshmallows are toasted, about 3 to 5 minutes.
- Cool before serving.