Oven Baked Hot Wings – a healthier version for the hot wing lovers! Chicken wings baked in the oven to crispy perfection and tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce. These wings are fantastic!
OVEN BAKED HOT WINGS
My Hubby LOVES hot wings. Actually, he loves spicy foods in general and for the past year or so he has been convincing me to try a lot of spicy food and I am really liking it! I always thought that spicy food is not my thing but he has converted me! This time we took on chicken wings. These chicken wings are baked in the oven to crispy perfection. They do not come close to touching any oil at all. What’s the secret? It’s baking powder! It’s those little things in cooking that make all the difference! They look like you just pulled them out of the deep fryer! But you didn’t! They have not been anywhere near any kind of oil!
How do you make baked hot wings?
- Make sure your chicken wings are dry. Pat them with paper towel if needed.
- Coat each wing with baking powder and pepper, then set on a wire rack, that sits on a large baking sheet. You may want to line the sheet with aluminum foil to catch the fat and have easy cleanup.
- Bake for 30 minutes, or until the skin is dry and crispy.
- Prepare hot sauce and coat each wing.
- Arrange on a plate and serve.
This is what the wings look like when they come out of the oven:
How to make crispy chicken wings in the oven?
The secret to crispy oven baked chicken wings is baking powder. Of all the things, right? I have my share of baked chicken wings that came out of my oven nowhere near to being crispy. But since I have learned that adding baking powder to the seasoning right before baking the wings draws out the moisture and helps with browning and achieving crispness, I can’t imagine doing it any other way.
How long do you bake chicken wings?
Chicken wings may take up to 45 minutes to bake. This allows the fat to render from the wings so the skin can be crispy on all sides.
How to serve Hot Wings?
If you are looking for a healthier option for your game day party with friends or simply to enjoy with your spouse and still be able to stick to your new year resolutions, this option is perfect for you! Serve it on a few Romaine lettuce leaves and alongside a blue cheese dip or a Ranch dip. They will be a huge hit!
How do you make Buffalo Sauce?
The sweet and spicy sauce is the traditional hot wing sauce, which is a mixture of butter, hot sauce and molasses. It took us a couple of times to figure out the ratios to get the sauce just right but we did it. This sauce is absolutely delicious! You can also use it on grilled chicken or chicken tenders.
MORE APPETIZER RECIPES:
For more appetizer recipes, feel free to browse our Appetizer Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
BAKED HOT WINGS RECIPE:
A healthier version for the hot wing lovers! Chicken wings baked in the oven to crispy perfection and tossed in a sweet and spicy sauce. These wings are fantastic!
- 4 lbs chicken wings
- 2 Tablespoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup hot sauce we used Frank's
- 2 Tablespoon molasses
- 4 Tablespoon unsalted or salted butter
Preheat oven to 250 degrees F. Place a baking rack on a aluminum foil-lined large baking sheet. Spray the rack with a non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- Pat all of the chicken wings dry with paper towels.
- Sprinkle baking powder and pepper over the wings. Coat each piece evenly and thoroughly.
- Place chicken wings on the rack. Place the baking pan in the oven, on the lowest rack.
- Bake for 30 minutes.
- Turn the oven temperature up to 425 degrees F.
- Place the baking pan on the upper middle rack. Bake for 15 minutes.
- Turn the chicken on the other side and bake for additional 15 minutes.
Place all sauce ingredients in a medium saucepan. Bring to a boil. Remove from heat.
- Once the chicken wings are baked, places them in a large bowl. Pour the sauce over the wings and toss to coat. It might seem like there is not enough sauce but keep tossing to coat each piece.
- Arrange wings on a platter lined with leaves of Romaine lettuce. Serve with blue cheese or ranch dip. Serve.