One Pot Chicken Ratatouille Recipe - the easy version of a classic French dish. Zucchini, eggplant and tomatoes cooked in one pot with seasoned chicken for a healthy, flavorful and comforting fall dish.
One pot dinners made with seasonal vegetables are some of the easiest to make. You can whip up a delicious dish in just one pan, starting by cooking the meat (like chicken), adding seasoning and the vegetables. This is a great way to enjoy eggplant, zucchini, and ripe juicy tomatoes. Skip the chicken for a vegetarian version. Add chickpeas or black beans for protein, if desired.
This One Pot Chicken Ratatouille is a filling comfort food, perfect for chilly fall days. Serve it with rice, mashed potatoes or just like a chili or stew, in a bowl. And don't forget the bread! It's perfect for soaking up every last bit of the sauce!
HOW TO MAKE ONE POT CHICKEN RATATOUILLE?
Start by heating up oil in large saucepan. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook until no longer pink. Add Italian seasoning and cook for 2 more minutes. This way you chicken will be flavorful. I also like to saute the garlic and onion with the chicken to infuse it with even more flavor. Remove chicken onto a plate and set aside. Heat up more oil in pan, add garlic and onion and saute until the onion is almost translucent. Add zucchini, eggplant and chopped tomatoes. Cook until tender. Add liquid and cooked chicken, stir well and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.
BEST VEGETABLES FOR THIS DISH:
Traditionally, Ratatouille is made with tomatoes, eggplant, zucchini or yellow squash. Sometimes potatoes are added. You can skip fresh tomatoes and use diced tomatoes in liquid. Adjust recipe as needed. I like to use fresh juicy tomatoes, especially straight from the garden. I think sweet potatoes, squash and even pumpkin would be a great addition as well.
You can peel zucchini and eggplant for this dish or leave the skin on. It's up to your preference.
CAN I FREEZE THIS DISH?
Yes! Once cooked, cool the dish completely, divide into freezer containers and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw and heat up before serving.
HOW TO SERVE ONE POT CHICKEN RATATOUILLE?
You can serve this One Pot Chicken Ratatouille as stew or chili, in a bowl. Add sliced baguette or sourdough bread slices. It's also great served like curry, with a generous scoop of rice. You can also make mashed potatoes and pour the ratatouille over the top. Add some cheese and feast!
CRAVING MORE? Check out these delicious recipes:
ONE POT CHICKEN RATATOUILLE RECIPE
One Pot Chicken Ratatouille Recipe
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken breast cut into bite-size pieces
- 2 tablespoons olive oil divided
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1.5 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 small yellow onion
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 eggplant cut into 1" pieces
- 2 medium zucchini cut into half-moons
- 2 medium tomatoes diced
- 1 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup chicken stock or broth
- 1 tablespoon chopped parsley
- Start by heating up oil in large saucepan. Add chicken, season with salt and pepper and cook until no longer pink.
- Add 1 teaspoon of Italian seasoning and cook for 2 more minutes. This way you chicken will be flavorful. Remove onto a plate and set aside.
- Heat up more oil in pan, add garlic and onion and saute until the onion is almost translucent.
- Add zucchini, eggplant and chopped tomatoes. Season with Italian seasoning, salt and pepper. Cook until tender.
- Add crushed tomatoes, chicken broth and cooked chicken, stir well and simmer for 5 to 10 minutes. Season with salt and pepper to taste and serve.