One Bowl Banana Bread – easy bread made with over-ripe bananas. It’s moist and filled with chocolate chips!
This is the easiest banana bread recipe ever! You only need one bowl and a whisk to make it. It’s ultra moist, sweet and filled with chocolate chips. It’s the perfect thing to bake when you have too many ripe bananas on hand. We love it as an afternoon snack or served instead of a cake with coffee or tea. You can make this easy banana bread in just one hour or make it into muffins and bake for 18 to 20 minutes.
Ingredients (your shopping list):
- 3 very ripe bananas
- all-purpose flour
- brown sugar
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- vegetable oil
- half and half and vinegar OR buttermilk
- 1 egg
- vanilla extract
- chocolate chips
- Start by mashing the bananas in a large mixing bowl.
- Add egg, oil and buttermilk and mix everything together.
- Add vanilla and both sugars and stir in well.
- Add dry ingredients and chocolate chips and stir in well. Do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into a greased and floured bread pan and top with more chocolate chips.
- Bake until golden brown on top.
What if I don’t have very ripe bananas?
To quickly ripen bananas for banana bread, place them on a baking sheet and bake in 250 degrees F oven for 15 minutes or until the skin is black. Cool them until safe to handle, peel and use in the recipe.
Storing and freezing
To keep it moist, I recommend storing your banana bread in an air-tight container on the counter.
Once baked, cool the bread completely. Then wrap in plastic wrap then place in a freezer-safe ziploc bag. Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. To thaw, let it sit in the room temperature for 30 minutes or so.
I almost always add chocolate chips. Semi-sweet is my go-to but milk chocolate is delicious too! You can use chopped nuts (like walnuts) or even dried cranberries or raisins. Add a teaspoon of cinnamon if you are skipping the chocolate.
More recipes with over-ripe bananas:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Easy bread made with over-ripe bananas. It's moist and filled with chocolate chips! You can make one loaf of bread or 12 regular muffins with this recipe.
- 3 very ripe bananas
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1/2 cup buttermilk see note for homemade
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/4 cup granulated sugar
- 1.5 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1.5 all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- Grease and flour a 9"x5" bread pan.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, mash bananas. Add oil, buttermilk and egg and whisk well.
- Add brown sugar and granulated sugar as well as vanilla. Whisk well.
- Add flour, baking powder, soda and salt. Sprinkle almost all chocolate chips over batter. Stir everything together, but do not overmix.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Place remaining chocolate chips on top.
- Bake for 50 to 55 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in a few places comes out clean and the top of the bread is golden brown.
- To make homemade buttermilk: mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with enough half and half to make 1/2 cup of liquid. Let is stand for 3 to 4 minutes to sour. Use in the recipe above.
- If your chocolate chips tend to sink into the bottom of the bread, add a little bit of the measured out flour to the cup with measured out chocolate chips and toss them well. Coating them with flour prevents them from sinking.