Easy Pumpkin Butter Recipe (Trader Joe's copycat) is a quick and delicious homemade spread with spices, apple cider, and orange! Make it in two steps and enjoy it all season long!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
Get ready to be OBSESSED! Today, I will show you how to make a super quick and easy (oh, so easy!) homemade pumpkin butter with ingredients you most likely already have on hand. If you ever tried Trader Joe's Pumpkin Butter, this one has the same flavors but is much better because you make it easily in your own kitchen.
Make a batch and enjoy on a toasted bagel in the morning, add to your smoothie or latte, mix with cream cheese for a deliciously creamy spread or dip or just spread on crackers.
This Easy Pumpkin Butter is absolutely out-of-this-world delicious! It is perfectly spiced with pumpkin pie spice, cloves and orange! Yes, the orange zest and juice give the butter a hint of citrus that goes so well with the spices. You have to try it! If you make a batch of this delicious Easy Pumpkin Butter, I promise, you will enjoy it and make it all season long!
- 100% pumpkin puree: not pie filling;
- dark brown sugar: adds a rich flavor to the butter; you can use light brown sugar with molasses;
- pumpkin pie spice: a blend of cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, allspice, and cloves;
- ground cloves: optional but recommended, cloves pair so well with citrus in this butter;
- orange: zested and juiced;
- apple cider: make sure you are not using vinegar; apple juice works too.
How to make Pumpkin Butter?
- Start by adding all of the ingredients to a saucepan.
- Whisk and simmer for a few minutes. Cool, then taste. Add more sugar if you like.
- Pour the butter into jars and keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Uses for pumpkin butter:
Whether you have a jar of homemade pumpkin butter or the store-bought kind, there are many ways to enjoy it this season. Here are just a few ideas of using pumpkin butter:
- spread on toasted bagel or bread for a delicious fall breakfast
- add a tablespoon or two to yogurt or parfait
- make a smoothie by adding pumpkin butter, milk and banana to your blender and blending till smooth.
- add a tablespoon or two to your latte for a delicious fall drink!
- spread a layer of this pumpkin butter on top of vanilla cheesecake or bars.
- mix with cream cheese for a delicious dip!
- whisk with brown sugar and half and half and cook until it has a caramel consistency.
- add to your morning oatmeal and garnish with chopped pecans
- spread on pancakes or crepes.
Yes! Fresh or canned pumpkin works in this recipe. If your homemade pumpkin puree has a lot of liquid, simmer it first to evaporate excess liquid.
I do not have experience with canning so I can't guarantee results.
Pumpkin butter can be stored in the fridge for up to 2 weeks. Store it in a jar with a lid.
Yes! Pumpkin butter can be placed in a freezer-safe container or bag and frozen for up to 3 months.
More easy pumpkin recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Easy Pumpkin Butter
- 15 oz. 100% pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- 1 orange
- ½ cup packed dark brown sugar
- ½ cup apple cider juice works too
- ¼ teaspoon ground ginger
- ⅛ teaspoon ground cloves
- 1 ½ teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Zest and juice the orange.
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk until smooth.
- Simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, whisking often. Cool.
- Use right away or pour into jars and store in a fridge for up to 2 weeks.
- Make sure you are not using pumpkin pie filling. The label should read "100% pumpkin puree".
- Dark brown sugar will add rich, deeper flavor to the butter. However, light brown sugar works too. You can add 1 tablespoon of molasses if using light brown sugar.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.