Easy Pumpkin Butter Recipe (Trader Joe’s copycat) – quick and delicious homemade spread with spices, apple cider and orange! Make in two steps and enjoy all season long!
Get ready to be OBSESSED! Today, I will show you how to make a super quick and easy (oh, so easy!) homemade pumpkin butter with ingredients you most likely already have on hand. If you ever tried the Trader Joe’s Pumpkin Butter, this one has the same flavors but is much better because you make it easily in your own kitchen. Make a batch and enjoy on a toasted bagel in the morning, add to your smoothie or latte, mix with cream cheese for a deliciously creamy spread or dip or just spread on crackers.
- 100% pumpkin puree
- dark brown sugar
- pumpkin pie spice
- ground cloves
- orange (zested and juiced)
- apple cider (not vinegar) OR apple juice
How to make it?
- Start by adding all of the ingredients to a saucepan.
- Whisk and simmer for a few minutes. Cool, then taste. Add more sugar if you like.
- Pour the butter into jars and keep in the fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Storing and freezing
This recipe makes just a little bit more than 2 cups of butter. Keep it refrigerated for up to 2 weeks. Store-bought butter has preservatives and will last longer.
Yes! Pumpkin butter can be placed in a freezer-safe container or bag and frozen for up to 3 months.
How to use it?
Whether you have a jar of homemade pumpkin butter or the store-bought kind, there are many ways to enjoy it this season. Here are just a few ideas of using pumpkin butter:
- spread on toasted bagel or bread for a delicious fall breakfast
- add a tablespoon or two to yogurt or parfait
- make a smoothie by adding pumpkin butter, milk and banana to your blender and blending till smooth.
- add a tablespoon or two to your latte for a delicious fall drink!
- spread a layer of this pumpkin butter on top of vanilla cheesecake or bars.
- mix with cream cheese for a delicious dip!
- whisk with brown sugar and half and half and cook until it has a caramel consistency.
- add to your morning oatmeal and garnish with chopped pecans
- spread on pancakes or crepes
This Easy Pumpkin Butter is absolutely out-of-this-world delicious! It is perfectly spiced with pumpkin pie spice, cloves and orange! Yes, the orange zest and juice give the butter a hint of citrus that goes so well with the spices. You have to try it! If you make a batch of this delicious Easy Pumpkin Butter, I promise, you will enjoy it and make it all season long!
More easy pumpkin recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Quick and delicious homemade pumpkin butter with spices, apple cider and orange! Make in two steps and enjoy all season long!
- 15 oz. can of 100% pumpkin puree NOT pumpkin pie filling
- orange zest from 1 orange
- 3 tablespoons orange juice or juice from 1/2 orange
- 1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup apple cider juice works too
- 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1.5 teaspoon pumpkin pie spice
- Combine all ingredients in a saucepan. Whisk until smooth.
Simmer on medium-low heat for 10 minutes, whisking often. Cool.
- Use right away or pour into jars and store in a fridge for up to 2 weeks.
Make sure you are not using pumpkin pie filling. The label should read "100% pumpkin puree". Dark brown sugar will add rich, deeper flavor to the butter. However, light brown sugar works too. You can add 1 tablespoon of molasses if using light brown sugar.
This recipe was originally published on September 26th, 2018 and updated on September 11th, 2019.