This Creamy Tomato Chicken skillet dinner is a quick and easy dinner option for busy weekdays! Done in 15 minutes with 8 ingredients in one pan, this dish is pure comfort food.
Why You'll Love This Dish
Sometimes simple dinners are the best. Grab a handful of ingredients from your pantry, and one skillet and you are on your way to delicious comfort food! Like this simple yet super tasty Creamy Tomato Chicken.
It starts with seasoned chicken cooked in a skillet. Then make a quick tomato sauce based on sauteed garlic. The last step is to let everything simmer together. That's it! Simple, quick, and packed with flavor!
- chicken: boneless skinless breasts, sliced lengthwise;
- tomato sauce: canned or homemade:
- butter and olive oil: my favorite combo for browning chicken;
- seasoning: Italian seasoning, salt and pepper;
- garlic: adds flavor to the dish;
- Parmesan cheese: to add cheesy flavor;
- cream or half and half: turns the sauce creamy and rich;
- cornstarch: only if you are using half and half.
How to make creamy tomato chicken?
- Start by slicing chicken breasts lengthwise to make 4 cutlets.
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and dried herbs.
- Heat up butter and oil in a skillet.
- Add chicken and brown on both sides. Remove onto a plate.
- Add garlic to skillet and saute.
- Add tomato sauce and cream. Bring to a simmer.
- Return chicken to skillet and top with Parmesan cheese. Simmer for a few minutes.
- Serve garnished with fresh basil or parsley.
What to serve with this dish:
- Dishes with chicken and sauce call for mashed potatoes in my book. I highly recommend my Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes because they are the quickest to make. A simple Caesar salad or broccoli salad will complete the meal.
- If your heart calls for pasta, go for linguine, spaghetti, or tagliatelle.
- Rice and steamed vegetables work great too!
- Add fire-roasted tomatoes for spice and heat.
- Add chopped fresh tomatoes and a handful of cilantro for a fresh vegetable taste.
- Use chicken thighs instead of breasts.
- Use cream cheese instead of half and half to make the sauce thicker and richer.
Any leftovers should be stored in a container, in the fridge, for up to 4 days. To reheat, place in a pan and add a splash of chicken stock or water since the sauce will be thick.
Yes! You can make this dish 2 days in advance. Store it in the fridge, and reheat it with a splash of chicken stock.
Yes, skinless boneless chicken thighs can be used.
Absolutely! If you want to finish it off in the oven, top it with cheese and bake for 10 to 15 minutes at 350 degrees F or until bubbly.
More chicken dinner recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, let me know in the comments below! Don't forget to rate it if you enjoyed it!
Creamy Tomato Chicken
- 2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- ½ teaspoon kosher salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 4 garlic cloves minced
- 8 oz tomato sauce
- ½ cup cream of half and half
- 2 teaspoons cornstarch if using half and half
- ½ cup Parmesan cheese
- parsley for garnish
- Slice chicken leghtwise to make 4 thinner cutlets.2 boneless skinless chicken breasts
- Season chicken with salt, pepper and Italian seasoning, evenly on both sides.½ teaspoon kosher salt, ¼ teaspoon black pepper, 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- To a large skillet, add 1 tablespoon of oil and 1 tablespoon of butter.2 tablespoons olive oil, 2 tablespoons unsalted butter
- Brown chicken over medium heat for 4 to 5 minutes per side. Remove from pan and set on a plate.
- Add rest of oil to the skillet and add chopped garlic.4 garlic cloves
- Saute until golden and fragrant.
- Add tomato sauce, remaining butter and cream (if using half and half, mix it with cornstarch before adding to skillet). Stir everything together.8 oz tomato sauce, ½ cup cream of half and half, 2 teaspoons cornstarch
- Place chicken in the sauce, top with Parmesan cheese and simmer for 5 minutes.½ cup Parmesan cheese
- Serve garnished with fresh parsley or chopped basil.parsley
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
- If you are using chicken straigt from the fridge, let it sit in room temperature while you gather all ingredients.
- Feel free to add fresh basil (chopped) to the sauce while it's simmering. It will add delicious flavor!