Cornbread Bundt Cake with Nacho Cheese Sauce - a savory cornbread with peppers and corn baked in a bundt cake and glazed with nacho cheese sauce. Completely unexpected side dish!
CORNBREAD BUNDT CAKE WITH NACHO CHEESE SAUCE
Once in a while, my Hubby and I will get a crazy idea for a dish and while many times we just end up laughing about it, there are times when I actually execute it. Enter cornbread baked in a bundt cake and glazed with nacho cheese sauce. Both made from scratch and super easy to whip up. When this idea hit us, we both had a ton of excitement to try it and see if it can work. The final result is mind-blowing and totally unexpected.
This cornbread will wow at any dinner party and will be super fun to serve for your Cinco de Mayo fiesta with enchiladas, burritos, chili or pot roast. Perfect to bring to parties or get-togethers. It will have everyone talking about it! I used my trusted Skillet Cornbread recipe and to make this incredible bundt cake.
This cornbread is full of flavor. Aside from the traditional corn, I added peppers and keeping it to just ⅓ of a cup gives it enough-to-notice flavor and pretty jeweled look. The delicious crumb comes from using buttermilk in this recipe. I absolutely love baking with buttermilk and use it any time I can.
NACHO CHEESE SAUCE
The sauce is absolutely incredible! So smooth, cheesy and delicious. It is very easy to make since I mix cornstarch with half and half and then cook the mixture with melted butter. Add freshly shredded cheddar cheese and you will have the best nacho cheese sauce ever! I used it in my Chili Queso Dip and it is the best! So perfect as a glaze for this bundt bread. The sauce has to be slightly warm to have the drizzling consistency. You can also spice it up by adding cumin and chili powder to the mixture while it's cooking for added heat. Last step is to garnish this beauty with parsley or cilantro and serve.
MORE CORNBREAD RECIPES:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Cornbread Bundt Cake with Nacho Cheese Sauce recipe
!for the cornbread:
- 1.5 c all-purpose flour
- 1.5 c yellow cornmeal
- 5 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 teaspoon baking powder
- ¾ teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 3 large eggs beaten
- ¼ c + 2 tablespoon vegetable or canola oil
- 1.5 c buttermilk
- 1 cup whole kernel corn from can, drained
- ⅓ cup chopped sweet red bell pepper
!for the sauce:
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 cup half and half
- 1.5 c freshly grated cheddar cheese
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small bowl, combine 1 tablespoon of melted, cooled butter and 1 tablespoon flour. Mix until smooth. Apply all over the inside of your bundt pan. You can also use non-stick spray or whatever works for you. This is my no-fail way to grease a bundt pan. Set pan aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk flour, cornmeal, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- In another mixing bowl or large measuring cup, whisk eggs, oil and buttermilk.
- Add corn and pepper to dry ingredients and stir. Add wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir until combined. Pour mixture into pan.
- Bake bundt cake for 40 to 45 minutes or until golden on top and toothpick inserted in few places comes out clean. Cool in pan for 10 minutes, invert onto serving dish. Cool completely.
- To make the sauce: in a medium saucepan, melt butter over medium heat.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together cornstarch and half and half. Make sure there are no clumps. Add mixture to butter, cook stirring often until thickened. Add cheese and stir, cooking on low heat, until all cheese is melted.
- Cool the sauce to warm before pouring over the cake.
- Garnish bundt cake with chopped parsley or cilantro.
kim bartley says
Hello i have this in the oven right now.. i will let you know when it comes out how we liked it .. Happy Monday to you
What size was your bundt pan?
I used a 10" bundt pan.
Kristen Berry says
OMGGGGG As a savory person I SOOOO love this! Thank you! I will make this and report back!!! Love this!
This would be so fun for an April Fools joke if someone was expecting a sweet cake! But for real, why aren't there more savory breads made in a bundt pan, it looks amazing!
Holy moly, a savory bundt cake! Such a cool idea and I love these flavors!
This is seriously a brilliant idea. Dying over that nacho cheese sauce!
Ahhhh this is such a fun idea! I love the "frosting"!
That cheese sauce looks amazing! What a great idea!
OMG so clever. I'd fill the hole of that bundt with chili and dig in. I love corn bread and never thought of using a bundt pan to make it but it's quite ingenious.
OMG you are so brilliant I can't stand it ~ how cute is this? It's going to be the centerpiece of my Cinco de Mayo spread 🙂