Lemon Cornbread Loaf – soft and fluffy cornbread packed with lemon and baked in a loaf pan. Paired with your favorite fruit preserves it makes for a simple yet delicious treat!
I don’t think I will ever get tired of lemon desserts, breads, muffins or scones. I adore them! The recent lack of sunshine makes me striving for sunny colors and lemon seems to fill the gap. Hence the cornbread loaf.
It sort of just happened one day. I usually bake my cornbread in a skillet or in a muffin pan but that day I reached for the loaf pan and there was no turning back. It doesn’t hurt that I also have a couple of jars of my favorite preserves. I am looking for more ways to enjoy it and this cornbread loaf happened to be perfect for it!
It’s also great to have a recipe that you can bake in a skillet, square pan, muffin pan and now also in a loaf pan. Choose depending on your mood or the dish that you want to pair it with. Either way, you will love this soft and fluffy cornbread perfection!
Recently, I have been adding lemon to sweet and savory dishes. These Lemon Garlic Roasted Potatoes happened again this week because I can’t get enough of them. Have you made them yet? They are crazy good! Also, I’ve been experimenting with no-bake desserts that have lemon fillings and they all came out insanely delicious! I can’t wait to share them! And this Lemon Crumb Cake with a cheesecake layer – my favorite!!
If you make this Lemon Cornbread Loaf, don’t forget to snap a photo and tag me on social media! I’d love to see it and share it too!
Lemon Cornbread Loaf
- 1 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/3 cup granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 Tablespoon lemon zest
- 2 Tablespoons lemon juice
- 1 cup milk minus 2 Tablespoons see note
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- Grease a 9" x 5" loaf pan. Dust with 1 tablespoon of cornmeal and 1 tablespoon of flour. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together cornmeal, flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda and salt.
- Place lemon juice in a measuring cup. Add enough milk to make 1 cup of liquid. Let sit for 2 minutes, until the milk sours.
- In a small measuring bowl, whisk egg, oil, lemon zest and the sour milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir until well mixed.
- Pour the batter into the loaf pan.
- Bake for 20 to 23 minutes OR until the toothpick inserted in few places in the bread comes out clean.
- Cool completely in the pan, remove and serve.
If you make one of my recipes, tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweetrecipes I would love to see what’s happening in your kitchen! See you there!