Chicken Marengo – chicken thighs cooked in Italian tomato sauce with olives, garlic and onion. Comfort food for chilly days!
This Italian dish is pure comfort food that you can make under 30 minutes. Chicken cooked in a flavorful sauce made with tomatoes, white wine, stock, olives, garlic, onions and seasoning. Serve on a bed of fluffy mashed potatoes and devour. This dish is perfect for busy weeknights, lazy weekends and any time of the year, especially the cold months. This delicious dish comes from a small village of Marengo, in Northern Italy. It was prepared by Napoleon Bonaparte’s chef in 1800.
Chicken Marengo Ingredients:
- 1.5 lbs chicken thighs
- salt and pepper
- olive oil
- diced tomatoes
- black olives
- Italian seasoning
- white wine
- chicken broth
- Sriracha or hot sauce
How to make Chicken Marengo?
- Start by seasoning the chicken, Cut it into bite-size pieces and dredge in flour.
- Cook in a pan until no longer pink.
- Remove onto a plate and keep warm.
- In the same pan, saute garlic and onion in olive oil.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine.
- Add remaining ingredients and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Return chicken to the pan and simmer everything together.
Can I make this dish ahead of time?
Absolutely! In fact, this dish is even better the next day. Keep it refrigerated until ready to reheat. You can also freeze it for up to 3 months. Thaw out in the fridge and reheat in a microwave or in a pot on the stove.
Chicken Marengo variations:
- skip the chicken and use mushrooms and beans,
- use chicken breast and sear whole before simmering in the sauce,
- sprinkle mozzarella cheese on top and pop the dish under a broiler.
More Easy Chicken Dinner Recipes:
- Sweet Garlic Chicken
- Spinach Dip Chicken Pasta
- Creamy Dill Chicken Pasta
- Apricot Baked Chicken with Rice
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Chicken thighs cooked in Italian tomato sauce with olives, garlic and onion. Comfort food for chilly days! Serve with mashed potatoes or rice and a generous slices of garlic bread.
- 1.5 lbs boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
- 2 Tbsp olive oil
- 1/2 large yellow onion sliced or chopped
- 14 oz Italian tomatoes or diced tomatoes
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 1/2 cup sliced black olives
- 1 tsp Italian seasoning
- 1/2 cup white wine
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 2 tsp sriracha or hot sauce optional
- Mix flour and salt and pepper in a shallow dish.
- Cut chicken in 2" pieces.
- Heat up the oil in pan.
- Toss the chicken in flour and salt and pepper.
- Place in batches in the pan and brown on all sides.
- Remove to a plate. Cover with aluminum foil.
- Add more oil to the pan if needed.
- Add onion to the pan.
- Cook for 2 to 3 minutes, until softenes.
- Add garlic, cook 30 seconds.
- Add wine and deglaze the pan.
- Add tomatoes, broth, Italian seasoning and olives.
- Bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken back and cook for 15 minutes, or until the chicken is cooked through.
- Serve with mashed potatoes.