Butternut Squash Alfredo Sauce Recipe - garlic and Parmesan Alfredo pasta sauce made from butternut squash. No cream and gluten free, this 4-ingredient healthy version is perfect for pasta lovers!
BUTTERNUT SQUASH ALFREDO SAUCE
Remember that time, when my pasta-loving self was blown away to learn that you can make a creamy Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Alfredo sauce from a vegetable? Well, guess what! I did it again!
I made a creamy, buttery (pun intended!) Alfredo pasta sauce with butternut squash, garlic and Parmesan. It's smooth, delicious and the color just screams fall to me. This bright orange veggie pasta sauce is perfect for pasta lovers who are looking for healthier ways to enjoy their favorite food. In other words: you HAVE to try it!!
HOW TO MAKE BUTTERNUT SQUASH ALFREDO SAUCE:
I based this recipe completely on my Roasted Garlic Cauliflower Alfredo sauce.
- After peeling the squash, I cut it into small cubes and cooked in a pot with water until soft. I had 5 cups of squash.
- After cooling it, I added it to the blender along with fresh garlic cloves and Parmesan cheese and 3/4 cup of water. You can use cream or milk of course, but I wanted to keep this recipe cream free and honestly, I do not find that this sauce needs to be any more creamy.
- Use vegan Parmesan cheese for a full dairy free option. This is smooth, buttery and tastes just like Alfredo sauce should: garlicky and cheesy.
I will admit, experimenting with vegetables and using them to make a pasta sauce makes me so excited. I have so much fun having my kids and my Hubby taste test it, they always think it's cool the sauce is made from a vegetable. They are already big fans of the cauliflower sauce (and so many of you are too!), I was hoping they will love this squash version as well. My kids, of course, loved that it's orange. Halloween is approaching and they are already excited. I used this sauce to make mac and cheese and they quickly called it Halloween Mac! 😀 Talk about making eating veggies fun!
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out! 😀
MORE HEALTHY RECIPES:
BUTTERNUT SQUASH ALFREDO SAUCE RECIPE:
Butternut Squash Alfredo Sauce Recipe
- 5 cups cubed butternut squash peeled before cutting
- 3/4 cup water reserved after cooking is great
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
- 3 cloves fresh garlic OR 6 roasted garlic cloves
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place butternut squash in a large pot and add enough water to cover the chopped vegetable. Cook over medium heat until soft. Remove squash onto a plate to cool. Reserve 3/4 cup of cooking water for the sauce.
- Into a blender, add cooled butternut squash, water, Parmesan cheese and garlic cloves. Blend for 20 seconds, scrape the sides of blender, blend again until smooth.
- Pour sauce into jars OR use right away in a pasta dish.
- Store covered in a fridge for up to 5 days.